Different projects

I have a very old and heavy wood lathe I bought, but to be honest I'm a bit afraid of using it. It looks dangerous.

As for the cabinets I want to build.

GallatAWk.jpg

Last edited:
Pam to your credit you set you bar high. Good for you. With your can-do spirit I have a feeling that you'll surprise yourself when you get going on the cabinets. They look great & I'm guessing you'll be adding your touch to the design as you work your way through this project. Carry on girl, you're doing great! :thumb:

CHILDISH - you have got to be kidding me.

I LOVE the garden gate - that is AWESOME.

You are not sure your methods meet STANDARD? Again - you're kidding - right?
There are NO standards.
If you can do it - you are most certainly doing it right.

From what I see - you are more successful that a lot of others I have seen.

You're GOOD.

I just love it when I see someone like you grab the bull by the horns ans tackle it to the ground.

You're Good.

NAH - you are NOT a beginner.

Awesome, lady!

...and just a word to the wise. 'Right' is what works for you and can be done with your tooling. And FWIW, I found when I did my Mother's kitchen, that I could buy ready made doors and drawer fronts already made up, ready for sanding from 120 grit for less money than I could purchase the lumber. But then they didn't offer pallet wood, so maybe be that wouldn't work. :rofl:

To get your thought processes started, cabinets are no more than boxes. Some boxes had 'lids' or doors. Other boxes have boxes inside them, called drawers. Your biggest skill will be to make things with square angles, and parallel edges. And I think you already have things wired there!

You are most welcome to ask lots of questions. We are here to help. Some of us have built lots of cabinets, so feel free to pick our brains and then do what makes sense to you. We will be your cheer leading section.

Yes, feel free. In the unlikely event the owner of the photo sees it and asks us to take it off the site, we'll gladly comply. Until then, post away. It's not like you're trying to take credit for someone else's work. ;)

Of course, none of us have ever had any failures in the shop. :rofl:

Sycamore%20Donut%20600.jpg

Good shot there Vaughn. You really made the point with the pic.
No. I am not showing any pics.

Pam, you are a talent!!! Don't you dare tell anyone you are a beginner, especially when you do great work, without great tools. I am WOWed!

Oh yes, I like the nose peeking out between the beard and red hat. You gave me a good chuckle to go to sleep with tonight.

Enjoy,
JimB

This isn't exactly woodworking though there is some involved. It's just a hobby of mine that I add to each year. Please overlook the railing on the bridge, I wasn't counting on squirrels using it as a perch. I'll have to make it stronger.

fairy door.jpg castle&door.jpg Dscf0086.jpg Dscf0088.jpg DSCF0009 (3).jpg

the last two monthly issues of fine woodworking magazine has a great tutorial on dovetails by hand by a master at them.. also rob cosman is a great instructor for learning them as well and he is quite often at the local woodcraft stores for seminars on it. he also sells a dvd that you purchase and watch at home in your leisure as many times as you needed to get the hang of it..

me also.
I need to build something similar this summer and put wheels on it, so I can move it around and put tomato and a few other veggies in it.
I don't have much sunlight in my yard, and my neighbor purchased rolling planters last summer and it worked out great for him.

Just an idea for you, I intend to build a buck wagon for the yard to plant flowers in. But if you wanted multiple flower boxes that can be moved why not a train? Of course that might not work if you want the flower boxes in different spots and not all together.

Tom, I love them, they look great. Now a question. The design in the wood is that an inlay or what and how did you do it? I have in mind, somewhere down the road to build a china hutch and the one I want to build has those. I have no idea, guesses yes, but I don't really know what they are or how to get the same effect. To get what you really want the only way unless you are rich is to just build it yourself. This one looks doable to me. There are similarities between your cabinets and this so I will probably be picking your brain when it is time to build.

sedona-wood-buffethutch-sunnydesigns-zm1.jpg

Pam, i am not tom. but i helped him make his, so to answer your question he cut square holes for that detail.. as for your hutch in the picture it appears to be a square inset for looks only it could be a plug made and glued in place.. but i think i have offended you in some way so take it for what it is worth.