Tapered legs question

Bob Gibson

I'm building a vanity/dressing table and bench seat for my grand daughter Abby. I worked up some plans (on paper) that include secret drawers and a fold-up mirror. Should be pretty cool.

Usually, because I like the Shaker look, when I make tapered legs, I taper the 2 inside faces of each leg only. I got to thinking today that it may be a little fragile for an 8 year old and maybe I should add stretchers between the back and side legs.

My question is, would the stretchers look odd when placed between the 2 tapered inside legs ??? Would it look better if the legs were left square and the stretchers added ???

I just can't seem to get the picture in my head :eek::dunno:

i like tapered legs bob, and bill satko made one awhile back threw garrat hacks class i think.. if you told her that she needed to treat this right the stretchers may not be needed

The first thing that came to mind is to bevel the ends of the stretchers to match the taper of the legs. If the stretcher is only 2" or maybe less, it would add strength but not be too noticeable.

Another option might be to make the back legs square, assuming they would be against the wall and less visible. Then, leave the rear-facing side of the front legs square and taper the more visible open sides of the front legs.

Dunno. :dunno:

Bob you thinking on the vanity or just the bench? I made a small vanity some years back for a girl that was around 8 no worries with the thin tapered legs surving. Did not make a seat bench though.That could be a different story.

sent from s4

That's a good idea Bill.

Rob I was thinking about making the bench and table the same way.

Larry, sometimes I tend to worry about stuff that probably won't happen. Abby is very respectful of the stuff I build for her. I'm more worried about her mother. She tends to push the vacuum cleaner around like she is driving an abrams tank.:rofl:

A crazy thought, but it did enter my mind. Depending on the length of the legs & the height above the floor where the stretchers would be located, would it be acceptable to keep the legs square from the top down to the stretchers & then taper the legs from that point downward? Probably should have kept that crazy thought to myself, but now that it's out I feel better.

A crazy thought, but it did enter my mind. Depending on the length of the legs & the height above the floor where the stretchers would be located, would it be acceptable to keep the legs square from the top down to the stretchers & then taper the legs from that point downward? Probably should have kept that crazy thought to myself, but now that it's out I feel better.

With all due respect my friend, I think that would look like crap :rofl::rofl::rofl:

It's all about proportions. No reason it can't look good. I've seen some pieces built that way but in more of a craftsman style. Looked great. Put some pencil to paper or make some mockups and see how it looks.

It's all about proportions. No reason it can't look good. I've seen some pieces built that way but in more of a craftsman style. Looked great. Put some pencil to paper or make some mockups and see how it looks.

I was only busting Al's chops.
I did exactly that. I sketched it out made a couple of quickie mock ups and decided to leave the table legs tapered with no stretchers. The bench will though.

Freedom NH ?????
We have looked at houses there. It's the #1 place in NH where I want to live. Imagine, really living in freedom :rofl:, My wife is still teaching in Raymond, NH and it would be a very long commute. When she retires in the next year or 2 we are on our way up.

Freedom NH ?????
We have looked at houses there. It's the #1 place in NH where I want to live. Imagine, really living in freedom :rofl:, My wife is still teaching in Raymond, NH and it would be a very long commute. When she retires in the next year or 2 we are on our way up.

Bob, you want to go from cold to colder?

I was only busting Al's chops.
I did exactly that. I sketched it out made a couple of quickie mock ups and decided to leave the table legs tapered with no stretchers. The bench will though.

Freedom NH ?????

It's a beautiful town, though I'm only there part time. Ossipee lake is beautiful. They have a lot more rules than the name implies....lol