Inexpensive Diamond Plates for Worksharp 3000

glenn bradley

After hearing some decent reviews from other folks here and elsewhere I picked up a couple grits of these. The are for lapidary but, are said to last long enough to make them worth the $10. I'll let you know if I find differently. I got a 400 and a 1000 grit.

WS3000 (4).jpg

They fit perfect. You just back them up with the wheels you already have. I used the one that my 3600 grit film is on.

WS3000 (5).jpg . WS3000 (6).jpg

Here's the result of 400 and then 1000 on my beater chisel I use for glue removal. They cut real quick but, diamonds generally do when new.

WS3000 (7).jpg . WS3000 (8).jpg

I didn't get an finer grits because I wanted to see how the 1000 grit wore. I touched the chisel twice to my regular 3600 abrasive and the results aren't bad for coming right off the machine with no honing. Took about 3 minutes of my time from 400 to this:

WS3000 (9).jpg

Now how did you photoshop that perfect mirror onto your chisel blade?

I leaned over, craned my neck and took a quick shot with my Canon Rebel. this sometimes works better than others as the auto-focus will sometimes focus on the shiney surface and sometimes on the object that is deeper in the reflection . My camera is smarter than I am but, sometimes not smart enough :D.

the ws3000 is on my wishlist...

Tell me, do you use it for your hand plane blades also?

Absolutely. I just touched up the block plane and apron plane last night. I also use it for gouges and I made a holder for shave irons. It is not the be-all end-all in my sharpening arsenal but, it is a blessing when I am doing a lot of hand work. I keep it clamped to the end of the bench. When a cutter starts to lose that just honed edge, I can restore it in a few seconds and carry on.

Glenn, I was lucky enough to find a WS 3000 under the tree this last Christmas, great workshop helper. Was wondering, can you share more about your set up. Looks like you have a stand of some sorts made for it? Did you buy more of the glass wheels? Or are you using MDF like some folks? Anyway, what ever you care to share would be good with me.

Glenn, I was lucky enough to find a WS 3000 under the tree this last Christmas, great workshop helper. Was wondering, can you share more about your set up. Looks like you have a stand of some sorts made for it? Did you buy more of the glass wheels? Or are you using MDF like some folks? Anyway, what ever you care to share would be good with me.

The stand build is here. An alternate version that "we" made for dad is here. I picked up additional glass plates during a great sale several years ago while DAREX was still trying to convince folks how cool this thing was. My understanding is that MDF works fine for coarser grits and I know dad has had success with these. As your abrasive gets finer, the irregularities are less tolerated so save your glass plates for your higher grits.

I also would love to see your set up for shave irons, got some I MUST do that I have procrastinated on long enough:eek:

Always glad to help (it makes up for my natural orneriness).

WS3K-Spokeshave-jig 6.jpgWS3K-Spokeshave-jig 3.jpgWS3K-Spokeshave-jig 2.jpgWS3K-Spokeshave-jig 4.jpgWS3K-Spokeshave-jig 5.jpgWS3K-Spokeshave-jig 1.jpg

It is a piece of ash with a kerf cut into it. The machine screw holes are threaded and countersunk. The iron is just pinched in place. The screws are your reference (the back of the iron rests against them) so drill the holes and tap the threads accurately at the drill press. I used a fence and stops for positioning the holes. I then put the tap in the DP and turned it by hand with the blank secured in the same position via the same fence and stops; single setup yields accurate result ;-)

Last edited: