Spindle Sander Risers

glenn bradley

I enjoy having a tall spindle sander but, often what I am sanding is not that tall.
Spidle Risers (1).jpg

To even out wear on the sleeve, you have probably seen a variation of this . . . I knew I kept the material from that cheap-o stereo cabinet for something. I was able to get four panels out of the scrap. Three about the size of the spindle sander table.

Spidle Risers (2).jpg

I mark the outline of the table top and drill for dowels. A protruding dowel in each corner will engage the layer below so I can stack the identical pieces for varying height. I mark the "front while they are still taped together in case my measurements aren't perfect and the holes only line up one way :rolleyes:. I then glue dowels in that protrude enough to catch the layer below but, not so much as to run into the dowels that are in that lower layer's holes.

Spidle Risers (3).jpg . Spidle Risers (4).jpg . Spidle Risers (5).jpg

The fourth piece is larger. I place two dowels at opposing corners to catch the table top and hold the whole rig in place. I have an early morning and so will finish up tomorrow but, I'm pretty sure you get the idea ;).

Spidle Risers (6).jpg . Spidle Risers (7).jpg

Depending on the thickness of what I'm sanding (or where my sleeve is most worn) I can add or remove layers to change the elevation and therefor the part of the sleeve that is used.

Good idea! The sub table for the risers to sit on is key.

I end up using some of the top area free styling for spoon curves and similar, in that case I sort of wish this sander had a non-oscillating option as well. The school I went to in grade 8/9 had a massive cast iron spindle/disc sander that I wish I could remember the make of, the only other similar setup I've found is the Oliver #34 combo (which it might have been, around the right era anyway).

I have a question Glenn, can't you just remove the sanding sleeve and put it up side down? I'm not familiar with them as here I still have to find place where they sell them. Usually I use my drill press, but obviously it doesn't oscillate.

I have a question Glenn, can't you just remove the sanding sleeve and put it up side down? I'm not familiar with them as here I still have to find place where they sell them. Usually I use my drill press, but obviously it doesn't oscillate.

Yes, this can be done. The sleeves are 6" tall so even with flipping them I often have a couple inches that rarely get touched ;-)