The worlds most expensive Garbage Cart/Trailer

When I had a yard full of iron I had one of each welders MIG, TIG and stick each machine had it's place in the shop and each got used.:thumb:

Probably depends on what types of projects you are working on.

For the kind of stuff I'm doing, clean metal, small fabrication projects in the shop, Sheet metal, I think the stick welder would be overkill.

Now welding up heavier duty frames, fixing machinery, I'd think stick would be the way to go.

Have to agree!

When I had a yard full of iron I had one of each welders MIG, TIG and stick each machine had it's place in the shop and each got used.:thumb:

Again, nothing to do but agree, but I still think that for most a good MIG welder should be the first electric welder you own, will do 90% of anything most guys need.

Cheers!

I would agree with that statement Unless your welding tractor buckets back together.:thumb::thumb::rofl::rofl:

Well if you are welding together tractor buckets as your first project, I'd say you don't fit the 90% of all hobbyist category :D

I also think that a good used stick welder is something you should also own, and know how to use, with the right rod you can put a good wear surface on a bucket and you can also weld outside in a breeze and on some pretty rusty cruddy steel, but for most guys that just want to fabricate stuff, the MIG is the way to go, but again I caution, a good MIG, 220V (230V 240V whatever it is in your neck of the woods) and one on a gas bottle. The cheap 110V HF unit will work, but there is a reason they don't cost very much money, it's because that is all they are worth.

<steps off soapbox>

Cheers!

Dang, I've been having fun. I have to say the key thing here is, and to quote Stu
Stu said:
a good MIG, 220V (230V 240V whatever it is in your neck of the woods) and one on a gas bottle. The cheap 110V HF unit will work, but there is a reason they don't cost very much money, it's because that is all they are worth.

My previous welder is a little 110 unit of questionable pedigree. HF might be step up. The 220v Lincoln I bought is like night and day. I've gone from splattering balls of metal onto a joint to actually being able to run a bead. Probably not very good beads, but way, way, better that before. I just dont even need to use the grinder as much.

Just put the last coat of paint on the trailer. Will post some final pictures tomorrow.

Hey Brent, remember "A grinder and paint, makes a weldor what he ain't!" :D

Go watch these videos in this playlist, Lanse (the guy in the video) is very good at explaining stuff in a way that is very understandable, I guess you could say he is a good teacher. :D

Nice looking cart :D :thumb:

From standing back where you took the pictures the welds look great ;)

Also as I keep trying to explain to the boss, you can't price the tool against just the one project, you have to amortize it over all of the projects (and no dear past performance is no indication of future performance either - remember your economics class). My success rate there is about as good as you'd expect :rofl:

Well if you are welding together tractor buckets as your first project, I'd say you don't fit the 90% of all hobbyist category :D

And if that's your first welding project.. may I please be informed ahead of time so I can avoid being in the locality of said tractors :eek: If you're just surfacing them.. well ok :D

I have a 110v hobart handler 140 wire core/MIG, really nice welder for smaller projects (which is pretty much all I do so its still fine for me), hadn't wired the shop for 220 when I bought it or I'd have really had to consider that. So far I've just been using the self shielded flux core that came with it and haven't tried switching to gas. The big problem with flux is that it splatters like no tomorrow, less as I've gotten better at tuning the power levels and striking/holding the bead but still sprays a pretty wide swath. So unless you want to grind not just your welds but also the whole surrounding area some welding blankets are a big help. It also leaves a fair bit of slag behind so if you need to do multiple passes its "weld, grind, weld, grind, weld, grind grind grind" (I'm leaving out the fill, prime and paint as implied :eek:).

Pretty much all of these welders have a place but its useful to know what sort of thing you're planning to do ahead of time and scope appropriately. I've done a smidge of MIG, Stick and forge welding and a little brazing. Their all different beasts, all interesting and - if you're into this sort of thing - all worth knowing at least enough about to be sort of dangerous. Someday I'd like to learn TIG well enough to be able to do sanitary welds in stainless, but that seems like sort of a magical art so who knows (a fellow who makes brewing tanks for a living recently joined the homebrew club - he has some nice kit at home).

One other note is that I have a relatively strong sense of my limitations on welding. I think that that's a healthy place to be. A garden trailer - sure I'd tackle that (I'd say "no problem" but that would be highly optimistic :rolleyes:). On the other hand, I wouldn't try to do a structural weld on a road trailer or a bridge at my current level. Its just to easy to get what looks like a good bond that ain't (and the difference is pretty hard to see, a friend works on for the road department doing bridge welding and they x-ray a lot of their work where it matters).

I do miss having a forge, ah the possibilities..

"The worlds most expensive Garbage Cart/Trailer"

You still have a ways to go at spending $$$ on trash collection.

The one below is one time use only. It burns up with the trash but I think they spent a little more than your project. Your's still was a nice/fun project.

" Private supply ship Orbital's Cygnus cargo craft departs space station after 5-week visit: 1 big trash incinerator."

I have a 110v hobart handler 140 wire core/MIG, really nice welder for smaller projects (which is pretty much all I do so its still fine for me), hadn't wired the shop for 220 when I bought it or I'd have really had to consider that. So far I've just been using the self shielded flux core that came with it and haven't tried switching to gas. The big problem with flux is that it splatters like no tomorrow, less as I've gotten better at tuning the power levels and striking/holding the bead but still sprays a pretty wide swath. So unless you want to grind not just your welds but also the whole surrounding area some welding blankets are a big help. It also leaves a fair bit of slag behind so if you need to do multiple passes its "weld, grind, weld, grind, weld, grind grind grind" (I'm leaving out the fill, prime and paint as implied :eek:).

I think the gas made a big difference, but it's hard to tell since I didn't even try the flux cored wire with this machine yet.

One other note is that I have a relatively strong sense of my limitations on welding. I think that that's a healthy place to be. A garden trailer - sure I'd tackle that (I'd say "no problem" but that would be highly optimistic :rolleyes:). On the other hand, I wouldn't try to do a structural weld on a road trailer or a bridge at my current level. Its just to easy to get what looks like a good bond that ain't (and the difference is pretty hard to see, a friend works on for the road department doing bridge welding and they x-ray a lot of their work where it matters).

Yeah I don't see me welding any stretch limos together or anything that would hold a heavy load over my head, but for garden carts, brewing sculptures, that sort of thing, I think this should be just the ticket.

I went ahead and ordered the spool gun for doing aluminum as well, just for grins.

"The worlds most expensive Garbage Cart/Trailer"
You still have a ways to go at spending $$$ on trash collection.
The one below is one time use only. It burns up with the trash but I think they spent a little more than your project. Your's still was a nice/fun project.
" Private supply ship Orbital's Cygnus cargo craft departs space station after 5-week visit: 1 big trash incinerator."

Well, That sure does have me beat by a long shot!

Hey Brent, remember "A grinder and paint, makes a weldor what he ain't!" :D

A quote worth remembering!

That looks great, Brent. :thumb:

At some point in my life I'd like to have a welder and learn how to use it. Something like the Hobart you got would be just right for me.

Looks very cool. Now tell me are you just playing tricks on me or is Logan "the fox" getting too well fed. Looks like he has grown a fair bit since burning woods 2013.
Me thinks this is just camera foolery. :)

sent from s4

Looks very cool. Now tell me are you just playing tricks on me or is Logan "the fox" getting too well fed. Looks like he has grown a fair bit since burning woods 2013.
Me thinks this is just camera foolery. :)

Maybe a little camera, maybe a little too much kibble. :rofl:

I think he may have picked up a little winter weight...

I don't know about Logan, but it looks to me like it's almost time to mow the lawn...that gravel's getting pretty high:thumb:

No worries. Already did a round of pre-emergent spraying, and I have a new broadcast sprayer on the way. Good thing Costo sells Roundup pro in big quantities, cheap.