Wormy Vase with Flowers

Ryan Mooney

Staff member
Finally got a little sun so I took a few pictures.

First flowers of spring in a vase the worms made. Not sure what the vase is (birch is my best guess based on where I got it and what it looks like). Flowers are mahogany scrap, and lilac for the small ones and myrtle burl for the larger one. The flowers are fully hollowed to around 1/16" thick to the base, my success rate on those was substantially less than 100%.

IMG_1702.jpg

IMG_1703.jpg

IMG_1704.jpg

Make that three "Cool"s.

When I can get back into the shop I am going to make something similar for my front porch---to go by the door!

I've done some small "worm" vases and such. They are fun to do and I really like the, non-sterile look.

Thanks for showing.

Enjoy,
JimB

Thanks all,

Jim - looking forward to seeing your version!

Cool! That vase is amazing, but can you send me some of the bulbs for those flowers? :D

I'm going claim that I have metaphorically planted the seeds already :D

Can't really claim a lot of credit for the vase some little friends did most of the work, I just made it visible.

I'll add another "cool". That seems to describe them best. I could see those flowers mounted to stems of brazing rod to allow them to move about a bit. What a great centerpiece for a coffee table or even standing inconspicuously on an end table where someone would "suddenly" realize they were looking at a wood turning. Just plain cool.

Glenn you came up with the great idea. It got me thinking that was exactly what i had to do when i first saw the pics. Did a double take until i realized what they were and how great they are.
Excellent idea to use flexi wire for stems.

sent from s4

I got a couple of other interesting ideas on another forum:

- Turn the flowers green, I'm thinking more of an open form like kind of a bell shape and maybe with a natural edge. Also thinking of ways to force them to warp wavy while drying (thinking maybe inside/outside alternating stripes of shellac or other sealer to make alternative contractions)

- inside out turned flowers to make petals. I'm still wrapping my head around this one.

I think thinner/more flexible stems wouldn't be a bad idea either.

These were all scrap wood, its a great way to use up some small chunks of to pretty to throw out.