What Would You Charge?

Stu, I thought that only happened to me. Wonder what they would think of a bill for the time you have invested researching the best options for their project. A lawyer charges by the hour even if they only spend 10 minutes on your case at a time. Hope they didn't pick your brain for free and hire someone else. On another note, bet your folks are enjoying the heck out of those girls!

No they did not hire someone else, they needed the locking door on a back office area because of a consulting job they had, part of the requirement for the job was that they have a locked door area in the office. From the get go I thought it was ridiculous, the office is NOT a large space to start with, the front room is maybe 12' x 12' and the back area is about 12' x 8', and there are only three people in the office, the back area is mainly used for storage. I really did not think that they needed a locked door secure area in such a small office, if they wanted to make sure documents were secure, then buy a small safe or something, silly to me, but that is what their client wanted, so they got the quote from me. I guess my client's client balked at the cost, and decided that they actually did not need a secure area in such a small office :rolleyes:

My client now wants a fairly large set of storage units, like a bookcase with doors on it, three units and he wants them very well made as they will have to carry a lot of weight. I told him at first to go to IKEA and see what he could buy to work. He got back to me and said that they had nothing that would work, junk and overpriced, I said OK, I'll put a quote together for you. He knows that he needs well built shelves, he knows they are not going to be cheap, in price or in build quality. Let's see how this goes :D

In the mean time I have to build another crane for the Play Ground of Hope guys, and I have another Aparto Renovation that will happen at the end of March, not looking over my shoulder at all.

About the girls, yeah, I think things are OK, my eldest Erika just negotiated the purchase of her first car, I think she got a fair deal on a very nice ride.

Ohh boy, I am looking forward to this. I hope you are willing to share your experiences about it here on the forum.

Of course, but this will be the kitchen only, floors and cabinets, I'll get a guy in to do the wallpaper (I HATE wallpaper). I'll do some plumbing and put the lines in for the new hotwater heater to the bathtub room, a new Tankless hot water heater will be installed for the whole house, but for just the kitchen for now.

I'll be sure to share!

I guess my advice of get as much as you can didn't appeal to anyone.
Its not like someone sitting in Kansas or north Carolina could have any clue as to what the market in Tokyo, not Tokyo, but that little section of Tokyo that stu is going to do the job.
What I pay for a door installation on Long Island is double what someone living in Missouri might pay.
Like I said, get as much as you can, I think Stu is the best judge of what he can charge, and he isn't installing doors to make a little extra cash to buy pen blanks or supplies.
so Ill repeat, charge as much as you can in the future, most carpenters/woodworking are grossly underpaid.(because if they charged what they are really worth, their families wouldn't eat or have rent money,ofcourse, not in every market, but the average joe is looking for a bargain when it comes to home improvements)

Well this job is back on, I'm doing it for the lower price, but I changed, with approval, the door that will be used, so there is some money left to pay myself. If I can do this right, it should be a simple one morning on site install, with a fair bit of workshop preparation.

The shelving unit job has been shelved for now :rolleyes:

One of my best friends is a builder/carpenter. He often does me little favors as I do for him. But, there have been a couple times I needed something done that, IMHO, exceeded the limits of a 'favor'. I approached him and would say I have job for him and told him to charge me his regular rates. There was no question about this issue and last time money was discussed until I handed him a check.

I went this morning and got the door installed, I know that for many of you this would be a very small job, but for me, logistically and getting the client on board it has been a bit larger than it really should have been, but it is almost all done and I'll get paid for it, so hey, that is a good day in my book.

IMG_7433.JPG

IMG_7434.JPG

These are the backing boards that I fitted, they had to take up the space in the doorway for the door frame etc to fit.

Of course the walls were out of plumb as the floor and the ceiling, but hey, what can you expect here in earthquake country.

IMG_7435.JPG

Initial fit and shim adjustment

IMG_7439.JPG

Hardware in place, things adjusted, now I need to cut off the shims.

IMG_7442.JPG

IMG_7443.JPG

Done for today, I had to ordered the casing, they did not have the color I need in stock when I got the door, so another trip to the homecenter when they come in. But that is a very quick trip to fix them in place.

The client is happy and so am I! :D

Nice job Stu, I like how that one came out. The concrete certainly adds another layer of stuff to deal with.

Are they planning to have any trim added around the frame or just leave it as is?

This will bust yer bubble may contractor guy here installs doors for $50. plus supply's and will do it all day long.
Yha but he's from down south so he don't know so much about making money:thumb::thumb::thumb: Just doing it for the fun of working boss:thumb::thumb::thumb: Up here we like to eat and ya know make car payments and mortgage payments so we charge just a bit more than 50 bucks. About $200 more than that. Then we charge another $100 to put trim on them. So finished door would be $350 labor only. Funny that windows are the same price.:thumb: Oh and that is in a complete framed opening. If I got to get out the framing gun to install a door or a window all bets are off and the meter starts running.:thumb:
Sounds like Larry likes eating as well:thumb::thumb::thumb: And I have seen him it looks like he aint missed a meal:thumb::rofl::rofl::chair:

Yha but he's from down south so he don't know so much about making money:thumb::thumb::thumb: Just doing it for the fun of working boss:thumb::thumb::thumb: Up here we like to eat and ya know make car payments and mortgage payments so we charge just a bit more than 50 bucks. About $200 more than that. Then we charge another $100 to put trim on them. So finished door would be $350 labor only. Funny that windows are the same price.:thumb: Oh and that is in a complete framed opening. If I got to get out the framing gun to install a door or a window all bets are off and the meter starts running.:thumb:
Sounds like Larry likes eating as well:thumb::thumb::thumb: And I have seen him it looks like he aint missed a meal:thumb::rofl::rofl::chair:

good answer chuck but poor comment:) i have missed a few meals but i when i get good food like i had at your place its time to fill up till the next time,,you never know how long the dry spell will be:)

Thanks Chuck, that makes me feel better.

All in this is going to cost them just under $1500, which I know sounds sick, but the material cost alone for a good locking door, not a privacy lock, but a lock with a key, is about $600. Then there is the $7.40 USD a US gallon for gas, parking is $4 for 20 min in this area, and the parking Nazis will get you, trust me on that. The nearest home center is a good 30 minutes away through traffic, etc etc. I think they got a good deal, they seem happy.

Like Allen said, "as much as you can get" I did that and kept the customer happy, win win, no? :D