Kitchen Remodeling - lighting question

Leo Voisine

It's all new now.

Usta just get lights - Not anymore!!!!

I am thinking track lighting on the vaulted ceiling and some under the cabinet lighting.

LED seems to be the great thing.

I bought a 12" strip of LED under counter - WOW - what, are your thoughts?

Suggestions ??

Good experiences ??

Bad experiences ???

this inquiring mind wants to know

A buddy recently did a remodel in his house, put in a bunch of LED lights, they are sort of like the old can lights, flush mount to the ceiling round about 4" I guess. They can even be put on a dimmer, which is nice. My point? Well, they are BRIGHT, he got what he was told was a 60 watt equivalent, they were more like 120 watt. I was really amazed at how bright there are. Just an FYI.

Cheers!

We're looking at under-cabinet lighting in our kitchen when we do some tile backsplashes. Did you run these strips end-to-end or space them under your cabinets? I'd like the lighting to appear seamless as much as possible.

i put one under each cabinet about 3 inches from the front and has good coverage, I can take a pic after dark if you would like to show coverage.

i put one under each cabinet about 3 inches from the front and has good coverage, I can take a pic after dark if you would like to show coverage.

Thanks, Tom. I was assuming one under each cabinet section for ours, so it sounds like that's good. We have two upper sections on each side of the sink, each about 42" wide. On the stove side of the kitchen, I can put lighting under only one side; the other side has a toaster oven.

I've never been satisfied with the fixture above the sink - three sockets for incandescent or CLF. Would it be practical to use a couple of LED strips to replace that?

Sorry for the hijack, Leo. Maybe my questions will be relevant to your remodel, too. :)

Bill - it's not a hijack - I want all the views I can get.

I did buy a 12" section at Lowe's just to see how it would look.

I have a fluorescent that I bought 25 + years ago.

Side by side comparison

Fluorescent looks a little yellowish.

The LED is like comparing oil based polyurethane to clear lacquer.

The fluorescent is like poly - and the LED is like Lacquer - clear

The LED is a clearer - cleaner - light. I like it.

I made up my mind on that one --- LED, as much as possible.

I like dimmers also.

When I do the under the cabinet lighting I will be hard wiring everything in.

Dimmers sound great. Didn't know I could do that.

Highland hardware looks worth checking out.

I just saw some --- OVER --- the cabinet LED'S. Whoa - I love that.

I have vaulted ceilings - that will just be awesome.

I looked at the package and that 12" strip I put up is better light than the old 12" fluorescent 15 watt light.

The LED is THREE watts.