Ya'll like Loon's ?

Saw the Doc the other day , not sure if it's just the time of season or an artist trait of getting a bit depressed, She asked me who I was doing and I told her, I should have kept my mouth shut but .... for some reason about once every few years depression kicks in for a day or 2 and I start thinking I tired of this world and she asked so I told her ; I don't hunt any more so a gun is out of the question , she said that's good. Then asks me: what about now I told her the Harley would be an easy way to go. Then I explained the artist syndrome, am I good enough , will I fail , do people really like what I do. I get these thoughts as all artist do but then again I am not out for at-a-boys this is my stress release. People are asking me to show. I'm not going out looking for shows. She said ok you've dealt with this and have a good handle on how to handle it and that was that. Then that evening I get a call from the shrink in her office. She wants me to come in. Not really sure how to think about that.

I think what I am dealing with more then anything is my cousin a few years older who lost a son years ago , kind of resigned from his family and went to Alaska did the Ice Roads as a trucker , he was a Rodeo bull rider in Tx and Man's man kind of guy. Anyway he committed suicide a couple weeks ago , just very sad to me.

I hope you all don't mind me opening up here.

So I decided to paint this Loon. It's always seemed to be a weird one to me.

Love loons, used to have them up in the mountains when we'd go camping and I can remember sitting out at night listening to them. So lots of nostalgia there.

Looks like a good start, will be fun to see this one.

Dave, I think you've mostly described the human condition, at least in general. I go through bouts of the same thing - I think its also partially a vitamin D deficiency as it gets worse in the winter and loml got a lot sunnier when she started taking some of that (of course when she was tested the doc asked her how it was possible she could even get up in the morning).

I for one just don't see how you can even entertain the idea that some one would not like you paintings, well unless they hate beautiful wildlife. I do understand what depression can do though. That is a beautiful bird, as always your painting are my favorite. I have to explain to friends I show them to that they are not photos! Beautiful, beautiful.

:thumb:

You are a fabulous painter. I come from a family of artists and I have seen a bazillion paintings. Your's would be right there on the top of the pile.

I've had a couple shots of depression. Thank gosh they were very short lived (hours not days) and they were very far apart. However, it gives me a tiny insight into what you are talking about. You have all of my sympathy and encouragement.

Do Enjoy,
JimB

Fortunately I've never had a bout of depression so unfortunately I cannot offer any advice in that regard. However, I will say that I really look forward to your paintings as I think they are absolutely incredible. In fact, I think they are far beyond paintings as they provide a very realistic, truly lifelike representation of wild life. They are simply beautiful! I call my wife over to look at your latest masterpiece and email copies of your art to my daughter and many friends. Their reactions are always the same - unbelievable. So Dave, you do much more than paint, you bring a lot of joy to people who appreciate your masterpieces. I always look forward to the next one.

Last edited:
I can feel the beginnings of a depression nibbling at me, and some untoward things have happened to put me there. I've seen my therapist, but she's heavily booked at present, so it's difficult to get appointments. I know what it's like. I can go into a depression for two to three weeks, which is better than some I know who go down for months. I'm medicated for it, but sometimes it's stronger than the meds.

That's a gorgeous painting. And that loon video lifted me momentarily. I need to camp for a week.

Working in my shop yesterday, as usual I started talking to myself. I said, self, I wonder how Dave is doing on his painting. And Walla! you post today! It is going to be another awesome painting!

I am awestruck at the artistic talent that some people have.

I love art and I have worked so hard to do even the basic things - and I fail.

Dave - your painting has heart and feeling into it. The photographer can capture nature through a lense.

You do both - you capture the nature - and additionally - you put feeling and heart into it.

The LOON - is beautiful - I can hear him singing.