Tools...they are so demanding!

Bill Satko

Having tools is like having a pet, they have needs that keep you busy. I find myself busy keeping them rust free and sharp. Yesterday I made a fence extension for my plow plane and in the process decided to remove a ding in my spokeshave blade. Today I needed to sharpen my dovetail saw.

Here I am lightly jointing the saw. No need to set the saw. I probably will need to do it next time. How do like my light stand?
DSCN1466.jpg

Set up for filing.
DSCN1467.jpg

Here are better views of my setup.
DSCN1470.jpgDSCN1471.jpg

Turned out great...nice and sharp now.
DSCN1469.jpgDSCN1468.jpg

That's the Gramercy vise? I've almost pulled the trigger on it a half dozen times but so far have just been using a couple of sprung pieces of oak in my metal vise which works fairly well.. But a real saw vise would be kind of cool :D

The aux fence looks nice as well!

That's the Gramercy vise? I've almost pulled the trigger on it a half dozen times but so far have just been using a couple of sprung pieces of oak in my metal vise which works fairly well.. But a real saw vise would be kind of cool

Yes, it is. I have a couple of vintage cast iron versions, but they don't work as well. The Gramercy is the right size for backsaws and clamps the saw security. I am very happy with it. I need to make one for my handsaws. There are a couple of designs out there for making a wooden one.

The aux fence looks nice as well!
Thanks. It is one of those things that you put off and just muddle through, then you finally do it and wonder why you put it off. Before, my technique had to be spot on to keep from tilting the plane. Now...wow so easy. Well, the good thing is I really got my technique down using just the existing fence.

Bill, Your pics are acting totally crazy. When I click on a pic I get a black and white graphic. I have to exit and come back and click on the pic again. Once a pic has been clicked I can go back to it without have to close the Black & White graphic and clicking the pic again.

Anyway, I did get through the saw routine. I gave up and only chose one of the "plane" series.

Oh! I used Internet Explorer this time instead of Iron---maybe that is the problem.

Enjoy,
JimB

Sweet setup Bill. If we want a tool to work well, it can be a demanding mistress. Certainly taking the time to put a good edge on a cutter makes the most drastic improvement in its performance and adds to the joy of using it. I've managed to baby-step myself to that place where if a certain chisel, plane or router bit needs attention, I have something else that will get me through the job at hand. The discipline challenge is to address those items that need attention once the task is complete and you are watching glue dry :). Once I get started into a sharpening session, it seems to move right along. Similar to exercise, I have a hard time starting but, enjoy it once I get going :dunno:.

Once I get started into a sharpening session, it seems to move right along. Similar to exercise, I have a hard time starting but, enjoy it once I get going :dunno:.

Yes, that explains my experience exactly. It is one of those activities that gives you an instant sense of accomplishment. So many projects have a delayed feeling of achievement due to their length. I like sharpening for that reason and also because it is a learned skill. It is a reminder of some of the hand/eye skills I have acquired over the years. Take that spokeshave blade as an example. I ground out the chip on my belt sharpener. I then finished sharpening & honing on a series of diamond plates and waterstones. No jig or fixture used, just my hands. It is easy for me now, I just ride the bevel. I think Vaughn would understand exactly, being a turner. When he first started turning, having a feel of the bevel was probably such a difficult thing... now he probably does not even think about it. That is what I like about woodworking using handtools, the sense of accomplishment derived from teaching your hand and eye to do things that looking from the outside seem incredible. The truth is, we can all do it if we are willing to commit the time. It is the journey, not necessarily the destination.