Six Panel Doors

Leo Voisine

As part of my remodel project I will be changing the doors in my house. I now have luan stained dark walnut. They are OUT - and I will put in new 6 panel - painted White.

I have 8 doors that I need to paint.

I hate brush painting ONE 6 panel door - never mind 8.

TWO - stinkin sides to every door.

That is SIXTEEN sides.

CAN I spray them????

With PAINT.

I don't really want to go buy the latest spray booth stuff - not interested.

My big compressor is broken but I do have a high volume piston compressor.

I have a nice little Kobalt spray gun for polyurethane.

I was thinking of a LOW END - Kobalt spray gun at Lowes for the water based trim paint - to paint the doors out in my shop.

What think yee???

I've sprayed doors before and they turned out fine, I setup a drop cloth behind hung from the ceiling. Had two short 2x4's on the floor to set the door on. then one leaned against the wall in front of the drop clothe to only the top edge touched it, that way I could paint both sides and then leaned it against another wall at about a 30-45 degree angle with just the corner touching the wall to let them dry. It let me stack several of them in a short space that way about 3" apart. If you've got any varnish on the doors, scuff them up with some 100 grit sandpaper first to get a good bond before spraying primer. I'd use a gloss or semi-gloss latex for the finish.

Ohhh - NO - I do NOT want to brush paint them.

I have painted MORE than my share of panel doors and dentiel molding and all that sort of stuff.

NO

I am asking What do I need for a spray gun --- low cost -- Lowes sort of thing --- Kobalt?????

Well - I went to Lowes and I got the Latex version of the gun I have for oil based stuff.

I guess only time will tell.

I will be picking up some of the paint tomorrow and I will try to get the ceilings painted this weekend. That is brush and roller.

Then I really need to get a fire under my you know what and get the beam covers made. THAT - is not a fun thing to me for some reason.

After that - I think the doors.

All I am going to say is Dave told you to check out spray fine and you should have listened:thumb::thumb::hide:
Yes it is more money but some things just can't be done well on the cheap.:thumb: Spray equipment is one of them things.:thumb::rofl::rofl:

I came home from Lowes with the sprayer before I saw the post about sprayfine.

I am not really interested in getting setup for spraying, so, I don't need anything great.

I had a Wagner at one time - sold it in a yard sale.

I have a Lowes Kobalt sprayer for polyurethane and I have really good luck with that one.

The Sprayfine looks like several hundred dollars - I don't want to go there.

If the Lowes sprayer does not work I am out 50 bucks, and I will brush the doors after that.

This spray job is likely the last time I will use it.

The painting that I do in the shop is with brushes and rags - not spraying.

I only want the sprayer - just for this one job - the doors.

There is always the option to sub the painting of the doors out to a pro painter bet it would be about a hundred bucks a door. Our pro that sprays doors uses one of these Titan Advantage 400 Skid Electric Airless Sprayer it's a bit more jing than the sprayfine. He will spray out a whole house full of doors in an afternoon.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Chuck - I am not willing to pay $25 per door for painting - never mind $100 per door. I am just far too cheap for that.

I have brush painted many many panel doors. I do a good job, but I don't like doing it. I will tough it out if I need to.

Time is not any issue at all - this can take as long as it needs to.

My guess is that the $50 sprayer is going to be adequate for my needs.

I do thank you for your input.