Bummer! PC Router Died

Al Launier

Was working on my wife's next jewelry box (last one !), plunge routing the cavity when psst, pop & blue sparks got my attention - real quick. Now I have to removet the motor to see what is going on. Hope I can salvage it, but in case I need to replace the motor, are there any preferable sources? Hopefully I can repair this myself, or find a local service shop that repairs PC .

Attachments

• Box & Router When PC Died -3-4-2014-1.jpg
    Box & Router When PC Died -3-4-2014-1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 19
  • Box & Router When PC Died -3-4-2014-3.jpg
    Box & Router When PC Died -3-4-2014-3.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 24
I couldn't read the model number of yours, but Ereplacement Parts has parts for it. I have ordered several things from them over time. Have you checked the brushes, maybe completely worn out would cause that kind of failure, I don't know.

there are some parts available Al, you can do a search for porter cable and get some repair stores near you perhaps.. have you checked the brushes..

Larry, I pulled the brushes right away & they look good; still a lot of life to them. I cleaned up the contact surface a bit. The armature does look like it could be cleaned up, so I'm going to try that as well. Unfortunately it appears totally dead when turning the switch on, not a murmur. I have been Googling the Internet, but haven't found one yet, but I'm sure I'll find one. Just wanted to touch base to see if anyone had a preferred site they previously dealt with.

Before I do that though, I'm going to check the switch and/or cable as I should be able to get something if the brush/armature just needed a cleaning.

Last edited:
I couldn't read the model number of yours, but Ereplacement Parts has parts for it. I have ordered several things from them over time. Have you checked the brushes, maybe completely worn out would cause that kind of failure, I don't know.

Thanks Paul, I'll check out that source.

There are only three things, Al. The cord, the switch, and the brushes. That 690 is a battleship of sturdy and simple. The switch and cord are available from Ace Hardware. The brushes from eReplacement Parts.

Thanks Carol, my thoughts exactly. Thanks for the ACE Hdw "lead".

I just checked the switch continuity & it's good. When probing the cable wires, the black one showed a cut. Now I'll just cut the cable wires & re-wire to the switch & motor. Hopefully that'll take care of things so I can carry on.

Paul & Carol, thanks for the eReplacement Parts referral. I'm going to bookmark that source for future reference.

I am so glad you got your router working.

I was feeling really sad for you.

I know I would be really bummed out if my PC 690 died.

Seems like we have a love affair with the pc690

I just LOVE your setup - that is soooo awesome