WNED PBS last night health show results some valuable information and links

Rob Keeble

Last night watched a PBS show by Dr Perlmutter thought it worthwhile that i share this info especially given our median age here. http://www.drperlmutter.com/ yeah yeah yeah he has a book and blog etc but how else does he disseminate knowledge.

Some revelations came out of it which i think have merits for us all as we age and even for those with kids.

Wont bore you all with details you can look em up if interested.

The net, neurologist and providing advice on how to try fend off Alzheimers or Dementia as we get older.

Draws attention to the fact that he is treating his own father for dementia and that there are no pharma solutions.

Also draws attention to the fact that his son currently studying to be a doctor is not being taught nutrition but loads of pharmacological information so our "standard" in medical teaching today is what pill to issue rather than what the patient puts in their mouth.

Draws attention to some of the myths we have been fed in our thoughts on nutrition in the past and how this has literally changed within the past couple of years some even as recent as 2013.

Links the mentioned diseases to inflammation of the brain. Says many kids that are branded as ADD in youth are not, they just need their diet changed and he shows video evidence of how this has changed many kids life. Anyhow i really just wanted to share the links not make a long post i get that you guys dont read and dont want long posts. ;)

Besides any products containing gluten, he draws attention to managing the sugars. Not just sugar itself but the glycemic index of all foods.

Well here i am having only recently traded white bread for whole grain and this doc is saying can the whole grains stuff they have a higher glycemic index than even a candy bar.

But he also says eat good fats lots of them and the other new revelation is eat eggs. This after we have been brainwashed into believing eggs are bad for our cholesterol.

But my hat goes off to the US government and Institutions again (thank you US taxpayers). I keep saying there is no place i can come up with like the US where so much valuable information is provided online for people to be able to educate themselves.
(Warning though for those of you that can only handle a soundbite or text of 150 characters, well you have had it if you cannot read maybe You tube has some videos ....sorry but you cannot get knowledge in 150 character sound bite.)

Sure we have sites of similar info in other western countries but nothing in my view to the depth of the US government departments.

Take a look at these institutions for info on glycemic index of foods. (note not just gov institutions in the links, Harvard is also included )

US Dept of Agriculture

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/...qlookup=&offset=&format=Stats&new=&measureby=

Harvard

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/76/1/5/T1.expansion.html

Anyhow i really just wanted to share the links not make a long post i get that you guys don't read and don't want long posts. ;):D

Rob I'm seeing a nutritionist now and working on getting my diet in order. BTW it's not the whole egg that's bad it's the yoke. So I just have the whites And all breads contain sugar....

I;ll get the spead sheets she gave me and post them up for ya. It's pity much the same thing.

so if whole grain breads are bad rob what are we to eat instead? and as for the eggs, i was told by a friend that eggs wernt bad either and he is a doctor as well, the last time i had my cholestrol checked it was under the magic 200 that today is the line you dont want to cross but not long ago it was 240 the line that is they will change this one sometime to suit the new reports that are done by new students with new grants.

Anyhow i really just wanted to share the links not make a long post i get that you guys don't read and don't want long posts. ;):D

I'm sorry, I skipped to the end. What was that thread about!?! :rofl:

Seriously though, the call for "Forks over Knives" is gaining momentum. That is, change your eating habits (Forks) over correcting the problems later (Knives). As I push closer to my "declining years" I am adjusting my eating. It has not been a walk in the park but, was nothing insurmountable either. I would just as soon have a porter-house sandwiched between two ham steaks and a small hill of taters and gravy but, chicken, fish (yuck), fruit and vegetation are more present at the table than before. I was famous for looking at a large salad and stating "That's not food; that's the stuff that food eats". Not so much anymore :D.

Last edited:
Dave this Doc said we been fed a load of huey with regards to egg yolks. We need cholestorol in our diet. Just not the kind thats derived from the wrong things like that thick layer of fat on a steak.
He also said make sure its grass fed beef if you gonna eat it.

@Glenn i would eat fish all day everyday. :)
Here again this doc said eat Salmon, it has some specific ingredient but must be wild salmon. Could not retain all so i ordered the PBS sponsor package and helped keep the public television on the air. :)
Did not stop them begging though. Boy i cannot stand that about the channel. They have some good content but boy do they kill it when they take a break to bend your arm. :)

sent from s4