Grage Door Opener Question

Paul Douglass

I need a push button for my garage door opener to operate it as I walk into the garage. Will a door bell push button work? Hummm to they even make door bell push buttons that have to be wired anymore? Aren't door bells mostly wireless anymore?

Paul, I have no idea :dunno:

Your post reminded me of something. I have a 2 car garage with door openers that are at least 35 years old. Each opener has a regular 60 watt bulb that stays on for about 5 minutes after opening or closing. The doors get opened and closed about 6 times a day. One bulb burnt out last year the other bulb, after 30 plus years is still going strong. How the heck are they lasting so long ?
Now how is that for a totally off the wall thread hijack :rofl:

http://www.amazon.com/Genie-Garage-Opener-Console-GPWC-2WLB/dp/B000JF9P3O is one way...& yes you should be able to find an old style wired doorbell at any mom & pop type hardware stores, not sure about the borgs...

I hope this is for your attached garage and being used indoors, LOL, my brother in law mounted one outside for his kids and him to use when they were just playing around in the yard and needed access...wasn't 2 weeks before someone simply pushed the button and stole a bunch of their stuff....

Paul,

I have two garage door openers. Both work with a remote and each is wired to a doorbell button just inside of the house to garage walk through door. How is that for a description? I removed the light bulbs from each opener. They did not help much and wasted a lot of electricity (which is precious commodity in So. Calif.). If I need a light I can darn well turn it on.

Here goes another sort'a thread hijack. I have a switch by the door from house into garage that turns on an incandescent lamp for brief trips into the garage; for example to take out the trash. That way I do not shorten the life of the fluorescent lamps. Again, better for the ecology and my pocketbook.

Bart I have an electric lamp that was in use in 1925 and still works fine. It is a rugged little beast. It hung down on an electric cord, a couple feet long, from the ceiling. It was bare (no shade of any kind) and clear glass and made the most wonderful shadows. It was in a walk-in closet. I used to go in there, close the door and bat the lamp so it would swing around and make all of those shadows dance.

Wait a minute, I'll go take a pic of it.

Enjoy,
JimB

Attachments

• IMG_2803.jpg
    IMG_2803.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 12
The only light bulb I have that has been working for years was one I bought for my Trouble Light. I use regular lights for several years and every time I hit the Trouble Light against anything the bulb would blow. I found the heavy duty bulb one day that said it was for that kind of use. It cost about 4 times what a normal bulb cost at the time, but I bought it and it has made money for me. It is still working, I bought it probably 15+ years ago.

I need a push button for my garage door opener to operate it as I walk into the garage. Will a door bell push button work? Hummm to they even make door bell push buttons that have to be wired anymore? Aren't door bells mostly wireless anymore?

If I remember correctly, I think the BORG's sell the buttons in their garage door section... it's been a couple of years since I worked at Lowe's and I'm really trying to forget....