oak in short supply?

Frank Fusco

I am wanting to build a small set of corner shelves. They will have a curved front. I am looking for 1/2"X12" oak. The only available in my area is from Lowe's. $$$$$:eek: And, it is all pieced together. Yuk. I can glue hunks of scrap together myself and make the end result look like hunks of scrap glued together. Even friends who usually have lots of scroung/found wood on hand don't have oak. Guess I'll keep looking.

Frank you need to look in my part of the woods. Oak here 4/4 at sawmill is about 7.00 a bf. Its not actually the sawmill its a milling operation with F3 in Oak, Black Walnut, Hickory,Maple etc. Buy a lot down there.

Oak - both red and white - are plentiful here, and red oak is one of the cheapest hardwoods available - about the same price as poplar. About $2.00 per foot, kiln dried FAS.

You said you needed half inch by 12" and that may be the problem. I seldom see half inch stock for sale anywhere except for 'specialty' dealers, and when they have it, it 's sold by the square foot, at premium prices.

BTW, half inch oak at that width will be very prone to warpage/cupping, so glued up stock will be more stable.

amen on the warping, and wide oak up here is around $4 bf and its being cut alot now because the demand for it is coming back.. if you need some oak i got some frank if you cant get any near you,, give jim hager a call, he might be able to help you out ..i am going to be close to him on my way to your place so could pick up and drop off for you saving a trip..

Yep, it is common here and the deer survivie on it and hickory. I'll have to find a sawmil, they seem to not stay in business very long and finding one in operation is a constant search. Oddly, shopping for wood is an almost new experience for me, free stuff seems to come often. Oh, well..