It's all in how you look at things I guess...

John Pollman

I spent today relaxing and reflecting on the week I just spent in Minneapolis. It was a very good week and I'm glad I went. Amplatz Children's Hospital is a fabulous facility! I got a lot of good information and some encouraging test results, but overall I have to say that the best part of the entire week came down to probably a six or seven minute segment of the trip.

We had finished my morning appointment with the neuro-psychologist and had taken a lunch break. Upon returning from lunch for my afternoon appointment, we got off of the elevator and walked over to the check in area. There was a family there checking in. It was a man and woman with their son. He was the most adorable little boy you could ever imagine. I'm guessing he was about 3-1/2 or 4 TOPS. He was in a wheelchair and my heart just broke. As we walked closer he looked up at me and gave me a great big HI and a wave. I smiled, waved and said hi back. He then looked at Celeste and did the same thing. We repeated this a couple times and went over to sit in the waiting area. We waved and said bye, he reciprocated.

He was so cute we could hardly stand it! We sat down and waited for my appointment. A couple minutes later, he came wheeling around the corner of the partition and saw Celeste and I sitting there. He wheeled up and started the greetings again. OMG it was SO CUTE! His mom sat down and he wheeled up and parked himself right next to the chair I was sitting in. His mom then started taking his hat and coat off. I talked to her for a minute or two and was really looking forward to spending some time talking with this beautiful little angel. I was amazed at how well that little guy handled that chair! He was a pro. A couple minutes later they came and got me for my appointment. I was so sad that I had to go and didn't get a chance to know him a little better. Darn it, why couldn't it be like it usually is while waiting for an appointment and take forever? We said goodbye and headed off to see my doctor.

As I left, I decided right then and there that if I do end up in a chair, I want to be just like him! I don't know what condition he had or what caused him to be in that chair, but he seemed to be one of the happiest people I've ever met!

Like%20Button%2075.jpg