Drill Press Rack/Pinion Lift

Al Launier

I have an older Craftsman Drill Press (Model 113.21371) that requires the table to be manually lifted. This gets to be awkward at times & I'm getting tired of having to do this to adjust heights. I have Googled & eBayed & checked Craglist for a rack/pinion/crank handle or old/other drill presses with these parts on it that I could strip off, that I could install on the 2 3/4" dia. column. No luck at all.

Any suggestions for a source?

Thanks!

You may be able to get a rack & crank pinon & table from Grizzly just make sure to measure the diameter of the column. It may be cheaper to just buy another used drill press with the features you want.

Back when I purchased my Grizzly Floor model Radial DP it was around $175 it would cost today with shipping $404.00 So I made a fair investment.

I like Bart's idea. Just get two of the top rings as your base obviously isn't cast with the receiver built in. I have also seem several folks clever use of a trailer jack:

trailer jack.jpg

Spent about 1/2 hour searching out you problem on the internet. Lot of people on forums that have brought up the very same thing. Didn't find an easy solution mentioned, but like I said, I only spent 1/2 hour. Mostly it appear that if you find a R&P setup the fits it, it is going to be an investment. I'm wondering if there is a way to attach a hydraulic cylinder under the table back towards the post. One of the hand pump ones. Sometimes I've seen those used pretty reasonable. Or might be best to look for a used DP that has one and just replace the old one.

While I was writing this, Glenn posted the picture above. That's a pretty good solution. Doesn't look that difficult.

Last edited:
I like Bart's idea. Just get two of the top rings as your base obviously isn't cast with the receiver built in. I have also seem several folks clever use of a trailer jack:

View attachment 81535

Brilliant Glenn, simply brilliant! :thumb: This way I don't have to be concerned about how the crank & pinion would attach to the table itself. Those that I've seen so far have the pinion gear integrated "into" the "collar" that wraps around the column & holds the table.

Thanks for the solution!

This is my old Craftsman, got it in like 1972 and it has not crank.

I just got the cylinder for Harbor Fright for around $80 and just set it under the table, no bolts screws or anything, it just set there and does its thing. Need to let the table down, turn the valve open and loosen the table lock and let it down, same for lifting it, close the valve and jack it up.

PC207533.jpg

Bill, that is a nice, clean approach! I went to HF yesterday thinking I would pick up a trailer jack to raise/lower the drill press table. After looking it over, I felt it would work, but didn't feel comfortable with it, even with a 25% coupon. I didn't like the "size" of it, as it would take up more room than I thought, especially if I decide to build a movable cabinet of sorts below the table.
Think I'm going to look into your suggestion further, has a lot going for it including a smooth up/down motion. Any binding of the table collar on the drill press column when going up?

Bill, that is a nice, clean approach! I went to HF yesterday thinking I would pick up a trailer jack to raise/lower the drill press table. After looking it over, I felt it would work, but didn't feel comfortable with it, even with a 25% coupon. I didn't like the "size" of it, as it would take up more room than I thought, especially if I decide to build a movable cabinet of sorts below the table.
Think I'm going to look into your suggestion further, has a lot going for it including a smooth up/down motion. Any binding of the table collar on the drill press column when going up?

Going down it will bind a little but I use lift up on the front of the table and it come right down, going up there is no problem at all.

Bill, did you attach the top of the ram to the underside of the table using the pin hole, or just place it under into a convenient pocket that is already there? Seems like placing it would be too easy. ;) So easy to remove later if needed.

Bill, did you attach the top of the ram to the underside of the table using the pin hole, or just place it under into a convenient pocket that is already there? Seems like placing it would be too easy. ;) So easy to remove later if needed.

I just set it there, no bolt or pins, I have had a time or two I just pulled it out because I need to drill the end of a longer board, now this has been like 2 time in the last 10 years.

I just set it there, no bolt or pins, I have had a time or two I just pulled it out because I need to drill the end of a longer board, now this has been like 2 time in the last 10 years.

Sounds good to me - on my way to HF to pick one up. Thanks for the suggestion, fits the bill nicely! :thumb:

Had a choice between the 3 Ton Central Hydraulics (http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-super-heavy-duty-long-ram-hydraulic-flat-bottom-jack-36468.html) or the Pittsburg Automotive (http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-super-heavy-duty-long-ram-hydraulic-flat-bottom-jack-60393.html) models, both at the same price of $46.99 - 25% = $35.24. Chose the Pittsburg model as I was told it is a step above the Central brand with better seals & a better warranty. Seals aren't going to matter in this application, but one never knows what other misc. duty this jack could serve.

With the weight & interference of extra fixtures mounted to the DP table, it was getting to be a hassle raising the table when needed. Jacking may be slower, yet less obtrusive than with a winch, but it'll be faster & less physical than the way it was with nothing.

Thanks Bill, appreciate the recommendation.

Shame on me! Looks like I have to give some attention to the rust that has built up on the column over the past 40+ years. :( How did I let that get by? :huh:

Attachments

• Drill Press Jack 3-28-2014-3.jpg
    Drill Press Jack 3-28-2014-3.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Drill Press Jack 3-28-2014-4.jpg
    Drill Press Jack 3-28-2014-4.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited: