Glue clean up question

Julio Navarro

Its been a while since I've been here. Got lots to catch up on and lots of great news to impart.

But first; I have a question about glue clean up.

I recently acquired a panel glue up frame and clamps. I will post pictures tomorrow. Suffice it to say that it is great for gluing up panels but it is caked with old, and I mean very old glue clumps. My questions is: Does any body have a good, and hopefully fast, way of dissolving old hardened glue form metal clamps?

I've tried heat gun, blow torch, hot water but its a slow grueling process. I was hoping someone had a chemical based solution that would just melt that old hard wood glue right off.

Any suggestions, no matter how bizarre, are welcome.

Now a bit of news that will make all you guys cry...I opened my new wood shop in a....wait for it......lumber yard!!! I am not kidding you. My shop is in a lumber yard RENT FREE. I do odd jobs around the lumber yard, help with orders and I get a rent free, access to any wood I want (within reason) 1,600 sq ft shop!! Disney here I come. I got power gallor, 120, 220, 440, Dust collecting, 2 stage compressor, and...the very best part, and I mean VERY best part... they have a 48" wide belt sander!!!

I am going to post pics this week as soon as I get a chance. I also have a very interesting opportunity some of you might be interested in. More later.

I am in heaven.

I've missed you guys and I hope I can be on more often.

Maybe try freezing it (a little judiciously applied dry ice perhaps) and give it a whack with a mallet?

You might also try acetone.. It dissolves all sorts of stuff.

And nice deal on the gig in the lumber yard! Look forward to seeing some pics.

Welcome back Julio. We have missed you. Congrats on you new work setup, does sound like a great deal. I love to visit lumber yards just to be near all that wood, love the smell of wood.

I'll second the vinegar suggestion if it's typical wood glue.

And congrats on the new shop. :thumb: I think I sort of hate you...in a brotherly way, of course. :D