Irwin 6" clamps on sale at Ace

Just a word of caution from a once bitten now wiser woodworker.

I purchased a bunch of these Irwin at one time when Grizz had them on sale. They great clamps for holding temporarily but they do not perform the same as a bar style clamp. They have their place but I was cheap and got a whole bunch and have since bought a bunch of the F type put hockey tape on the handles and now have a more suitable clamp. Could have saved quite a bit of money if i had listened to some of the advice given here before:eek:. Its not always easy to explain why something don't work like others perceive until you go through the experience.

I am still not sure which type i prefer these with the spring

03f0106s1.jpg

or these

h3802-e1566674986d5d05d2e72c847871a754.jpg

For me the F type bar Bessey clamp is easier to use with one hand if neccessary but i also find that with the spring type i can set them to size in the dry clamp and then apply them when gluing up. My jury is still out on which one is better so i just made sure to have many. :D

That's a great price. I'll have to see about picking up a few. I have a number of the 12" ones (even have a couple here in NM where I have no shop). I love the Quick Grip Irwin clamps and use them for a lot of things. But I don't use them as the main clamps on a glue-up.

Thinking I might pick up a few, I checked with a local ACE Hdw store to see if they had them in stock. To my surprise, not only did they have them in stock & were pushing them, they also were quick to point out that if a customer belonged to their Rewards program they could pick up a 2 pk for only $7.95. And then to top it off, there is also a mail-in savings of another $2/2 pk. (limit of 4). Sounds like a pretty good deal to me - never enough clamps!

Good price. I have and use both types. Be careful with some brands (especially the 'new' Jorgensen "orange" clamps) with the spring level adjustment. The notches on the chromed bar are not machined well and the clamps slip out of lock easily. I had to replace 6 of these critters in both 6" and 12" sizes. ALWAYS test them out at the stor before you buy. Put some torque on them to see if they will slip.

Thanks, Jeff. :thumb: I went by Ace yesterday evening and picked up a pair of 2-packs.

When I first spotted the clamps in the store, I didn't see any 2-packs. They had single 6" Quick Grips for about $15 each. (And 2-packs of the 12" clamps for something like $30.) I figured I was out of luck, but as I was leaving the store, I found the display of the 6" 2-packs. I ended up with four clamps out the door for $17 and change...about what a single clamp would have cost me at regular price. :D

Senior discount? :D What's your sales tax rate?
Sorry Vaughn, I couldn't help myself. :rofl: I've been waiting on your response. :rofl: Actually there is no sales tax in NH. I was able to get the $2/2-pk cost reduction by signing on for the ACE Hdw Rewards program. I chose that option rather than using the Mail-in Rebate, plus it is one of the better local hdw stores.
So what did you pay for sales tax? :rofl:

Just a bump on this sale ends on Monday...I've stopped in to Ace last night for some other stuff and picked up the last 2 pairs they had. Wish they had a deal on the 12" ones...:)