Question about hinges

Kevin Sadaj

Hey all,

Trying to figure out which size of concealed hinge to order for shop cabinets.

Face frames are 3/4 thick.

I found a hinge that says "Hardware Resources - 3/4" Overlay Compact Hinge with Cam Adj & 4 tabs with Dowels in Nickel - ( HR-118440 )". http://www.myknobs.com/hr33906000.html

What is 3/4 Overlay referring to? Is that the face frame???

Understanding hinges is really pretty easy. You have a few choices.

Either the cabinet has face frames or not.

Whether the doors lay on the face frame or front edge of the cabinet (overlay).

Or, if the doors are to be flush with the face frame or front edge of the cabinet (inset).

For overlay doors with a face frame, and the face frame is used for the mounting plate, the overlay amount is referred to in inches of overlay.

For overlay doors for euro cabinets, or cabinets that the mounting plate is fastened to the side of the cabinet, the overlay amount is referred to in words...
Zero or inset. Minimum overlay amount.
Partial or half overlay. Depending on brand...from 3mm to 9mm of overlay (⅜" - ½"). Tip...3mm is about ⅛".
Full overlay. About 18mm, or ¾".

For many euro hinges, the amount of overlay can be due to the actual hinge arm, or a choice of mounting plate thicknesses. Most all my cabinetry utilized frameless construction, and I just used a full overlay hinge, and had the different thickness of mounting plates to set the overlay. Keep in mind that the amount of overlay has some adjustment in most of the 3 way adjustable hinges.

MikesMasterLogo2.gif
movingplane1.gif