BREW!

Paul Douglass

I when and visited my neighbor for a little while yesterday. He have a winery and is celebrating his 60th birthday. I took him a wine class with a Harley emblem on it, (He has a Harley).

He asked me is I like beer and I said, well maybe a little :rolleyes:. So he says "come" and I followed him to his winery. He is making home brew as a hobby now. Showed me the whole set up and the process. Because of the winery he has some pretty sophisticated equipment to use. He invited me to buy the ingredients and one of the weekends he will help me make a batch, using all his equipment and knowledge. I will be taking him up on the offer. His was some of the best beer I have tasted. I'm pretty excited about it. Been wanting to try some beer making but didn't know where or to start. Now i have a why and my wife can't even complain!

Good deal. Back when I lived there I got all my ingredients from ice harbour, they were pretty fair on prices ( the founders started as home brewers). The real nice thing about having someone help you out like that is you can pretty much go straight to more completed brewing techniques with no stress.

I walked a couple through their first batch six or so months ago and now he's doing crazy stuff like malting his own grain :eek:

Good deal. Back when I lived there I got all my ingredients from ice harbour, they were pretty fair on prices ( the founders started as home brewers). The real nice thing about having someone help you out like that is you can pretty much go straight to more completed brewing techniques with no stress.

I walked a couple through their first batch six or so months ago and now he's doing crazy stuff like malting his own grain :eek:

Ice Harbor is where he recommends buying supplies. Ice Harbor also has a nice little restaurant down on Clover Island, where Metz Marine is. I've eaten there several times and sampled their brew. They have one that they say has a "hint of banana flavor to it". I tried it, man oh man it was good. I couldn't imagine a slight banana flavor, but ti was there.

When I was there they were still in the original spot across the railroad tracks. The new location has a lot more curb appeal :) We stopped in at the new location a couple years ago when driving through.

It's a fun hobby for sure. I brewed up a batch of what I'm calling a 'summer ale' yesterday.

Today, I'm making a big beer. A mango triple IPA! Should be an interesting experiment.

Here's a blog post I made on yesterdays Fiasco.

http://www.isolateddesertcompound.com/2014/03/16/time-to-make-a-little-summer-ale/

Looks like your having fun anyway..

My one brewer buddy who has been doing all late hop additions was getting great hop character. A month or so ago we did a club brew on his system and I found out that his whirl pool was taking a good 30+ minutes so I think the definition of "late" varies a little. The thing I'm not sure about was the average temp during the whirlpool as he's recirculating some so guessing maybe 180f or so. I recently did a double ipa with mostly first wort and finish hops. It was great for a couple weeks but then the hips faded pretty fast. I guess the take home is try some things and adjust for your system.

Hmmm, Not sure if I have a real 'whirlpool', But I do use a pump and a counterflow chiller to chill things down.

The way I typically do it is to turn the pump on and start to recirculate the worth through the chiller and hose about 15 minutes before the end of the boil just to make sure things get sanitized.

At flame out I just turn off the gas and turn on the cold water to the chiller until the temp in the kettle gets down to about 70 degrees.

Then I redirect the hose into the fermenter. Takes about 20 minutes I guess on a 10 gallon batch and less on a 5 gallon batch.

So that probably does affect the definition of 'late'.

I love having a couple of pumps for brewing. Really makes it convenient to move wort around.

Guess I have to get caught up on a new language! "counterflow chiller" , "the worth", "late" , etc. Well my neighbor also loaned me the book "HomeBrewing for Dummies"

Along with every new hobby comes a new language and a lot of acronyms!

Wort = What that liquid is you boil up before it becomes Beer!

I just go the easy route, my son and DIL are my brewers:D

I go easier than that...

No brewing necessary. :rofl:

coca-cola-la-doza-0-33-l~36067259.jpg