Turkey season is here

I just finished turning this striker out of Iron Wood that's been laying around the shop for 15 years. This wood is so hard it handling of glass pot calls is sweat music. I was amazed the difference between the rosewood , hickory, purple heart, maple and a piece of monkey wood I used to to make striker. Varying the diameter of the striker and the tops.
Plus the hardness took some work and sharp gouges. Sanded with 100- 220 and then 320.

2 Pot calls made from Brazilian RoseWood. Which is against the law to import any longer. I'm glad I have a nice stach of this.
Glass call I left the edge with a nice ban saw pattern. This wood will darken over time and will polish out just because of the all the oils in the wood. The Slate call I oiled with 2 hand rubbed coats of 100% Tung oil.
These have a nice sound to them. Not to load but great pitches.

Nice calls, Dave. :thumb:

Good thing turkeys don't hybernate.

But folks in Michigan get to hunt pre-frozen turkeys. They're a lot easier to sneak up on, too. :rofl:

elmer-fudd-1.jpg

Still on my bucket list this, hope you have better luck than last year Dave. You had me realize it just aint as easy as the media make out.

Dave how many are you allowed to get on one day down where you are? And what sex must it be?

Our rules here make it hardly worth registering for a licence.

Spring hunt (april 25 thru May 31)
You only allowed one Gobbler or Jake per licence and only two licences per hunter and the two birds may not be taken on the same day.

Fall Hunt )Oct 15 thru 27)
One licence per hunter and only one turkey male or female.
So for the whole year if you a really good hunter and buy the max licences you can you can only take 3 birds.
No live decoys or electronic calls. 400 meters from any bait sight.

Oh and its mandatory to report details pertaining In to your bird each time if you get one.

In 2012 hunters bagged 8 079 turkeys in spring and only 274 in fall

Jakes were 28 percent of spring males

Females made up 58% of fall harvest.

Last year $28.06 for a turkey license. If you a resident.

So if you aint set on the challenge of hunting one in this part of the woods, then you better off buying one at the store if its just for the sake of a pot bird. In some ways i think thats good because it prevents the kind of characters i have seen fishing that will take anything and eat anything they get on a hook.

Good luck Dave.

Rob I can take 3 in va. 2 if one is taken in the fall. Md. I can take 2. I'll be hunting Ky also I think I can take 2 there also. Starting 4/12 in Ky & Va
A week later in Md. Both close 6 weeks later from the start.

A striker is a length of wood such as what Dave made, or other materials like plastic, etc, that is used by scraping the end onto the hard surface of a "pot" to produce the sounds a turkey makes to attract gobblers into the hunter, i.e. clucks, putts, yelps, purrs, cutts, cackles, and others. There were 30 turkeys on my neighbor's lawn yesterday morning. Quite a few now in NH.