Vacuum pumps ..help needed

I do a lot of vacuum pumping for stabilizing. You can use a refrigerator compressor for that matter...they pull vacuum but are kinda hinky in some areas. Due to cost constraints at the time, I went with the HF 3cfm...$85 with the coupon. Gast is out of my reach unless you hit a pawn shop...un-employed A/C guys ditch 'em in a second. The next one I'm already looking at, Robinair Cooltech is American made, re-buildable, pulls 6 cfm is and rock solid. Amazon has them but Craiglist is a good supplier as well.

Last edited:
I believe the rocking piston names comes from the piston being one piece, rather than having a pivot at the piston head. So when the piston is going up and down the top of the piston rocks. The piston is level when at top and bottom dead center but is rocking at some degree at all other points. I have several of these types of pumps that were used as air pumps for water treatment, Im going to have to see is any still work and if I can use them for vacuum pump systems. Hmmm possibilities, I never thought too much about using vacuum pumps but there are some things I could probably use them for.