Shaker Sofa Table in cherry - Finished!

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
A couple of years ago a local investing firm hired me to build a table to hold a large screen TV for their office. They wanted simple/elegant style and that, to me, meant Shaker. A few weeks later they had it in their office and they were very pleased. So much so, I guess, that they contacted me two weeks ago to build another, but this time with a drawer. (The first table was to have a drawer - even stated life with one - but I dropped the idea before completion.)

The table will be a mate to this one
DSC_0001 copy.jpg

Work began today with the initial milling. Legs and tops are milled, but the apron, not so much. When I purchased the lumber I trusted my eyes instead of my tape measure and got a board that, with a little wane on one side turned out to be too narrow once the sapwood and wane were removed. Live and learn.:doh: Luckily I will be driving right past Woodcraft tomorrow on the way back from a lunch with some friends.:D

Initial Milling.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like fun Rennie. Ah, the joy of going back to the yard to try to find a piece of cherry or walnut that matches what you already have. I love the wide range of colors that these woods have until I need to find a piece that matches something I bought a year ago :doh:.

I did one too, for my wife, last week.

SofaSide.JPG

I had an old piece of veneer that wanted to be a table top. Only one piece so no bookmatch, but the two ends look okay together

SofaTop.JPG

Shaker Sofa Table in cherry

After being distracted by a few other projects in the shop I was able to finish the milling for the table and do the glue up for the top. I should have time today to rough-cut everything to size and taper the legs.
y5e9y5ur.jpg
u5aqymu8.jpg

Been working on this in the background for the last few days. Managed to get all of the mortises and tenons done and did assembly of the legs and apron this morning. This afternoon or tomorrow I will get started on finishing up the top.
e5ybyvep.jpg

Been kind of a lazy Saturday so I did not get too much done. I did manage to get the drawer runners installed. Tomorrow or Monday comes the hard job, building the drawer.
2ezapy7y.jpg

Okay, I have to ask, because I like to learn but I keep going back to the pictures and I don's know exactly what is being talked about here. Could someone give a quick explanation? This is going to be a very nice table.

Thanks for asking Paul, I wondered about that as well. My uneducated "guess" is that that front drawer opening is so perfectly square with sharp corners, that perhaps the whole front is made of several (4) pieces (???) glued together. BUT, I can't see any glue line & the grain matches so beautifully that I think I'm totally wrong. Then again, this work is above my level, way above!