New edge plane profiles from BCTW.......

Mark Rios

I've been thinking about getting this plane set-up for a while now and I really like these two new profiles. But as I was reading about it (again), I got to wandering how one would sharpen them. Being a termite on the shavings of a newbie REAL neander that I am, I probably wouldn't be able to do it.

Any ideas, thoughts, discussions?

Thanks.

EDIT: Very, very, sorry. I had meant to include the link. (Once again, please see sig line)

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/pages_static/new-hp-6-soles.html

Last edited:
Ok. [ Slap forehead ]

Haven't cruised their site for quite sometime. :dunno: :)

Hi Mark,

Like any shaped iron, one of the ways is to wrap finer grit sandpaper around a dowel of appropriate size for the radiused portion and use a stone for the quirks--the flat portions. Often it is easiest to place the iron in the vise and move the dowel across the iron.

A fine stone slip like a carver would use can be used for touch-up honing during use.

fwiw, wood planes with this and other profiles are more cost effective.

Also note that as with a lot of metal planes using a rigid fence, one needs to attached wedges to the fence for holding the plane at the appropriate angle.

Keeping the iron shaped to match the sole is the most important aspect. How sharp the iron is is of secondary importance, especially on the smaller sized profiles. Not to say it shouldn't be sharp. But they don't need to be as sharp as a smoother needs to be.

Take care, Mike