Remodel - Ceiling Repair

Leo Voisine

Ceiling-1.jpgCeiling-2.jpg

Over the years the paper taped joints between the walls and the ceiling came apart.

They looked horrible and I needed to do "something".

Ceiling-3.jpg

So - I had these plastic hypo applicators from a project from years ago. They are NOT medical and the tips are plastic. They are available at McMaster.

I filled the applicator with contact cement - a small bottle was all I needed.

Ceiling-5.jpgCeiling-4.jpg

Then I stapled the whole thing up. Some places stapled up better up better than other places.

Ceiling-6.jpg

I then applied a generous layer of joint compound.

Ceiling-7.jpg

To even it out and "feather" it into the existing popcorn ceiling - I just spread it with a sponge. I needed to make sure there was a generous layer for the next step.

Ceiling-8.jpg

I "stipled" the compound with a 1" chip brush. I just poked and poked the compound to make it look something "like" the popcorn.

Doing this repair took me weeks. If I was young and 40 - it would have been one - two days.

Of course I needed to scrape and sand the wall to get a crisp corner edge.

I also went over the corner with some painter's caulk and my finger to really blend in the corner.

Ceiling-9.jpgCeiling-10.jpg

When I paint a ceiling I like to brush the edges and paint down onto the wall. I will cut the wall color up to the ceiling. So this is the edging all brush painted. It was tough to get a good shot - but I think it is clear enough.

There is is all painted up.

So the breezeway, the hallway and the vaulted ceiling - is all painted - 3 gallons of Sherwin Williams Eminence Ceiling Paint