Charles Brock Rocker build W.I.P.

Bryan Cowing

Bought plans and some tools last May:rolleyes:. I guess I better get at it.

I started with the seat, making it from 2 pieces.

cut the notches and routed the 1" tenon.
IMG_7169.JPG

2x10 spruce jig
IMG_7167.JPG

laminated 8 strips at 1/8" thick, they bend easy

IMG_7170.JPG

I had 5/8" radius round over & rabbet router bits on hand , plans used 1/2" R. Had to do a test block first. Fiddly work!

IMG_7171.JPG

Working on the back legs this am. Band Sawed them out , used the template and a spiral pattern bit. Wasn't working very well at the start. Bit has a 2" cut width and my stock was at 2&1/8".:huh: A pass through the planer fixed it . Bit works great, as long as you don't have too much to remove.IMG_7174.JPG

Next I glued the block onto the legs, that gives the 6* splay. IMG_7175.JPG

Not a fan of CD based plans. I have to keep going to my computer for instructions :huh: Book is not a lot of help.

fitted the back legs, cut out the headrest and band sawed a curve. The arm rest blanks, glued a walnut block to thicken them up. When done should show a walnut stripe at the armrest to leg connection. Back legs are easier to fit than the front.

IMG_7176.JPG

Yesterday got 6 out of 7 spindles cut from what was left of the 8/4 x13" cherry plank. :mad:

The centre is easy to form an oval shape, sand smooth and then on the router table with the 5/8" R bit, but the spindle part is hard to get them all the same. :(

Using LV's 3/8" and 1/2" dowel maker for the 1st 1&1/4", then sand on the 6" x108" belt sander.

IMG_7183-001.JPG

Great build enjoying following along Bryan. :thumb:

Thing i dont get about any rocking chair is when i sit in them and rock i find myself sliding out. Always wondered why there is no footrest on these types of chairs. I think i am too stupid for one of these.

Great build enjoying following along Bryan. :thumb:

Thing i don't get about any rocking chair is when i sit in them and rock i find myself sliding out. Always wondered why there is no footrest on these types of chairs. I think i am too stupid for one of these.
your legs aren't long enough:rofl:..... Nothing done on the chair today, had a work training meeting. My part time job is starting up again. Back to the grind on Monday.:doh:

Thing i dont get about any rocking chair is when i sit in them and rock i find myself sliding out.

your legs aren't long enough:rofl:....

No, no. Its just that Rob refuses to give up wearing those 1970's double-knit leisure suits. They're too slippery :rofl:. I was amazed when the gang toured Sam Maloof's place during the Tour de Wood. I sat in one of his rockers with no padding. Like Rob, I usually slip right out of the things but, that rocker was perfectly comfortable. Of course I could have just been star-struck.

Another wonderful build Bryan. I always enjoy your build threads.

Last edited:
Pretty much, yes. Steam bent wood could be a little thicker. Dry bending requires thinner strips. And the species and grain have some to do with it as well.

It's been a while since I spent some time in the shop! Installed the carbide wheel on the angle grinder and it sure is fast! Doesn't take long at all. I thought I would be a couple of hours, but 30 minutes is about all it took.:)

IMG_7185.JPG