I am a stupor hero, I have an uncanny ability

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Putting some drawers together for a shop cabinet. I managed to put nails into the groove for the plywood bottoms not on one drawer not on two drawers, but on all four drawers in at least one place each. What are the odds? Time to go out and buy my lottery ticket!
udy7upyt.jpg

Last edited:
Ding, ding, ding. We have another winner. Thank goodness none of the rest of us have ever mis-positioned a brad nailer. That was just Murphy making you check your drawer-bottom dado alignment :D. The ones that really hurt are the ones that blast out of a show surface . . . DAMHIKT.

Ding, ding, ding. We have another winner. Thank goodness none of the rest of us have ever mis-positioned a brad nailer. That was just Murphy making you check your drawer-bottom dado alignment :D. The ones that really hurt are the ones that blast out of a show surface . . . DAMHIKT.

yeah, blast out of the side really hurt, especially when they go into one of your fingers. I hate that. done it more than once.

Using nails like that is just asking for an early grave for the peice.

Wood Joinery can be your friend. It adds strength.

Screws and glue can have their place, but nails into plywood edges isn't a best practice.

My question is , Why are you using nails in wood furniture LOL
This is not exactly "furniture". The picture is of a drawer box made from 1/2" baltic birch. I wanted to complete all 4 drawers in an afternoon but do not have enough clamps to have them all sitting waiting to set up. So, I would clamp each drawer, pop in a few brads to secure the joint, use small clamps to clamp in some corner squares to hold it true while drying, and use the big clamps again for the next drawer. All worked perfectly, except the poorly aimed nails in the groove for the drawer bottom.
photo.jpg

Maybe I need to get Jarrod to do a write up on the proper procedures for repairing WOOD furniture. :)
That could help!

Using nails like that is just asking for an early grave for the peice.

Wood Joinery can be your friend. It adds strength.

Screws and glue can have their place, but nails into plywood edges isn't a best practice.
As stated above, these nails are not the joinery - they are just holding the joint till the glue sets.

What is a shot cabinet?
Corrected - thanks.

Ahhhh, like a nightclub thing to sell alcohol.

That flashy thing is bound to stir up some profits.

How does the lighting work???

rennie, someone asked, so I answered it for them.

I do not have a clue how the lighting works. My son showed me what I needed to fit, asked me if I could make him the box, he did the lighting.
If youd like to know about the lighting stuff he purchased, shoot me a pm and when I speak with him Ill get the place he purchased the lights.
Profit, no no no, while Im sure every frat house in the country would purchase one, I don't want the lawsuits from all the parents. We didn't invent it, we just made one.
sorry about the thread hijack rennie. you started it.

It does not please me to see you making these mistakes but it sure makes me feel a great deal better about my own mishaps. I remember when i first got my brad nailer and pancake compressor. Oh boy you guys would have laughed yourselves to death if you saw me.

We did not have these things when i grew up in SA so first time i had encountered it was getting my own. Well like a kid with a new toy i banged nails into everything that moved. I made stuff with ply relying on the nails for rapid assembly. Oh some of those projects were funny. One or two still around. Was good practice though, soon getting the odd nail in ones finger quickly taught you to watch where the intended path was for the nail and as to having it go where desired that too was insight that you dont always have control.

I guess its all a reminder woodworking is partly keeping at it and trying to get better each time. What was that book " In search of ....:)

rennie, someone asked, so I answered it for them.

I do not have a clue how the lighting works. My son showed me what I needed to fit, asked me if I could make him the box, he did the lighting.
If youd like to know about the lighting stuff he purchased, shoot me a pm and when I speak with him Ill get the place he purchased the lights.
Profit, no no no, while Im sure every frat house in the country would purchase one, I don't want the lawsuits from all the parents. We didn't invent it, we just made one.
sorry about the thread hijack rennie. you started it.

No sweat - I'm not at all bothered by the hijack. In fact, I was making light of it. :D

It does not please me to see you making these mistakes but it sure makes me feel a great deal better about my own mishaps. I remember when i first got my brad nailer and pancake compressor. Oh boy you guys would have laughed yourselves to death if you saw me.

We did not have these things when i grew up in SA so first time i had encountered it was getting my own. Well like a kid with a new toy i banged nails into everything that moved. I made stuff with ply relying on the nails for rapid assembly. Oh some of those projects were funny. One or two still around. Was good practice though, soon getting the odd nail in ones finger quickly taught you to watch where the intended path was for the nail and as to having it go where desired that too was insight that you dont always have control.

I guess its all a reminder woodworking is partly keeping at it and trying to get better each time. What was that book " In search of ....:)
Mistakes are part of the process. We just try to make fewer, and smaller, ones as we progress. Like I said earlier, I was not depending on the nails for any strength in the joint - it's all the glue. I just wanted to use the nails to hold the joint in place so I could use the clamps elsewhere.

I wanted to complete all 4 drawers in an afternoon but do not have enough clamps to have them all sitting waiting to set up

So there you have it; your wish list for the next few holidays should be "clamps" :thumb:. There's still time to get in on a couple sets of these. They aren't Bessey K-bodys but, they match dimensionally and I mix the two types without issue.

Put your plywood bottoms in at the same time. They will help square the box up and keep everything aligned. 20minutes is all you need in clamps so you should be able to move right along in batches.
That said, I feel your pain. Nothing more frustrating... The other is bradding on a piece of molding and hitting a screw in the box that turns the brad right back through the face...