Cajon

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
It's Art's fault...just so we're clear. ;)

I was off work today, so decided to have a little shop time and throw together a Cajon from some scrap baltic birch. The piece I used looks like it has worm tracks or spalting going on with it, so put all of that side of the board to the outside to see it.
2014-03-24 17.20.22.jpg 2014-03-24 19.12.43.jpg 2014-03-24 19.12.56.jpg 2014-03-24 21.09.57.jpg 2014-03-24 21.10.16.jpg

Still need to round over the edges and I think I'm going to make the snare wires adjustable by mounting them on a dowel where they can be rotated for different tensions or out of the way completely, still playing with design on that part.
2014-03-24 21.14.29.jpg 2014-03-24 21.14.48.jpg

I also used a piece of luan plywood for the soundboard, will have to pickup some birch or another species the next time I'm across town.

Looks pretty sturdy. You can have a party on this one. How does she sound?

A little better than the pots and pans I usually play in the kitchen. ;)

I honestly just threw it together. I need to do a little more research for when I replace the sound board to see if the screw holes and locations of screws make a difference. Also need to research the location of the snare and see if that makes much difference.

I honestly just threw it together. I need to do a little more research for when I replace the sound board to see if the screw holes and locations of screws make a difference. Also need to research the location of the snare and see if that makes much difference.

See, that's the black hole that'll suck you in! ;)

I have seen posted some where that they make a top corner so it is loose or a small gap in it to get a different sound out of that spot. Keep us posted. I want to make a couple of those one of these days

Yeah sounds like you just play with what you like sound wise. Some folks say they only put in one screw towards the top to get a little slap of the soundboard, like a rim shot.

Found these guys to show off the sound of what one can do with a cajon pretty well...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y0ekjt7ue4&list=RD7y0ekjt7ue4#t=8

Sure looks like fun glad we have no young kids in the house right now because if i had one of those i can also see them driving me crazy with it. Flashback to my youngest son when he was a tot.

A while back I had built this for myself and haven't hardly played it. I was supposed to build one for my nephews, but decided to clean up mine for them. Had to take it apart and add new feet, also rounded off all the edges.

Captured a demo of it yesterday...
https://youtu.be/RC5HP9fAZzo

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk