A Few Things From TWS/Tampa

Bill Arnold

Staff member
This was the first 'The Woodworking Show' I've been to in many years. Since it was in Tampa, we justified the trip for both the show and visiting friends. I spent most of Friday and Saturday and a couple of hours Sunday looking things over, buying a few items and sitting through some seminars. LOML joined me a couple of times but spent some of her time with former co-workers.

Here's some of the stuff I got:

Stuff_1.jpg

The main thing I was looking for was bandsaw blades for my 14" G0555, but was open to suggestion about whatever else wanted a home. This is probably old news for many of you, but I learned an easy way to reduce the grain contrast in woods like red oak by using 'Whiting', so I bought some to try. The other stuff on the table is some Marple chisels, small brush sets, crepe sticks and, of course, the requisite coozie!

After seeing a demonstration and trying it myself, I decided to buy a Carter Stabilizer for my 14" bandsaw. I forgot to get a photo before I mounted it, so here's what you get:

Stuff_2.jpgStuff_3.jpg

I removed the upper and lower guides, mounted the stabilizer and had a go at a couple of 2x6's I had glued up.

I can't show the 6" manual dial caliper I ordered from Lee Valley at the show, but it's on its way. I also ordered some items for my lathe (sorry Larry) after returning home because I could get a little better price.

Anyway, we had a good time down there, but it sure was good to get back home!

Nice stuff and it sounds like a nice trip for the both of you. I see bandsaw boxes in your future.

Last edited:
Bought one last year & it does work well. However, I still wish I could find a 1/8" x 4-6 tpi blade for my GO555LX.
Bob, if you wan to try mine before you buy, you are welcome to do so.

So I've looked at the stabilizer on the internet. Looked like a good investment. Do you do anything different underneath the table or do you live what came with the saw? YEP, nice haul.

So I've looked at the stabilizer on the internet. Looked like a good investment. Do you do anything different underneath the table or do you live what came with the saw? YEP, nice haul.

The instructions say to remove the upper guide rollers and push the thrust bearing back so it doesn't touch the blade. The rollers and thrust bearing on the lower guide assembly are to be pushed away from the blade and locked down.

I removed the entire lower guide assembly as well as the upper thrust bearing. The only thing I have now is the stabilizer to support the blade.

so i take it your pleased with the carter stabilizer? and al get a hold of ellis manufacturing for your band saw blades, they will make any size you want.. alot of us use them for bandsaw blades

Thanks for the suggestion Larry, but I had already contacted Ellis as they have been recommended to me before by FW. They do not offer any 93 1/2", 14" BS blade narrower than 1/4", not even a 3/16", & with a minimum 6-blade order, plus they don't accept PayPal, my preferred method of payment.

As for the Carter Stabilizer, yes it does work well, however I feel that the blade tensioning is important. I also do not use either top or bottom thrust or guide bearings. For example, when used on a bandsaw box where the DOC is high, the blade can cut at an angle (vertical) if not properly tensioned, although this can be taken care of with a belt/spindle sander but that results in a wider kerf & a looser drawer fit. Without the side guides, there is a bit more "flexibility" when turning sharp corners & it's easy to think that you can do even sharper turns - then you can be flirting with blade breakage. It's prudent to practice the sharp cuts on a scrap piece to get a good feel for the Carter Stabilizer, or just increase the corner radii to begin with.

so i take it your pleased with the carter stabilizer? and al get a hold of ellis manufacturing for your band saw blades, they will make any size you want.. alot of us use them for bandsaw blades

I'm pleased with the stabilizer so far, but that's only the test cuts I showed in the photo along with checking it at the show. Bandsawn boxes are next - right after I finish two other projects!

Ellis is usually the place to go, but they don't list anything smaller than 1/4" blade stock. I've checked other sites and the only 1/8" blades I see are 14tpi. The smallest 4tpi I've seen is Carter's 3/16".