New 18-String Guitar

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
FedEx brought another addition to my cheap guitar collection yesterday. The parts are Asian, and best I can tell, this "brand" is some guy in Alabama who's importing kits, assembling them, then adding a logo on the headstock that says "Cozart - Custom Hand Made". Yeah, right. :rolleyes: Nonetheless, the neck, body, tuners, and frets are plenty serviceable, but as expected, the pickups are junk. I can fix that pretty easily for about $60 - $100 and end up with a fun toy - including a pretty decent hardshell case - for about $300 (or less).

Cozart%20Double%20Neck%20600.jpg

I put new strings on it last night, and despite the junky pickups, it'll get its first trial run on two or three songs tomorrow at a gig at a local sports bar & grill. (Expecting a secret Family Woodworking guest at the gig, too...more on that later.) ;)

Neat! I wonder what those two heads/necks are saying to each other. Does one have an inferiority complex? String envy? Don't let 'em fight. You'll have a tough time separating them.:D

Mohammad, double neck guitars have been around for quite a while, but they're not real common. They even make some with more than two necks. I figured this one was a bit of overkill, though:

12-neck-guitar.jpg

:D

Yep, I suspect that's the kit. ;) I got this one on eBay for less than what the kits are selling for. It's a "sort of" copy of the EDS-1275, but I think the necks are closer together on this one. These necks are so close together that I can't use a string winder on 9 of the 18 tuning keys. I can't tell you how many years it's been since I wound new strings on a tuner without a string winder.

Oh man very cool and both very cool songs, i really enjoyed hearing them and seeing them played. Thanks Vaughn. Well you now building the pressure in the cooker to see a new You tube of you on stage when you have mastered playing this new gear. :guitar::score::headbang::clap::clap:

That thing is HUGE!

Are you going to play it under your arm or lay it down like a steel guitar?

This one will go under the arm. It's heavier than my other guitars, but the hardest part about playing it is the balance. Most guitars are well balanced and stay in place pretty well when you let go of the neck. This one is "neck heavy", so if I let go of a neck, it wants to slip and point the necks downward. It'll be a constant effort to keep it in playing position. I'll just adjust my technique for the two or three songs it'll get used on.

I do have a lap steel guitar, but don't use it when I'm playing gigs.