It's Friday! - 3/28/2014 Edition

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
It's at least warming up here, hope the rest of you are starting to see spring pop in your area. I've got some trim to paint and another coat to do on the sunroom yet, but hoping to clean things up this weekend. I've got a valance project to do for my wife, which will involve some pocket screws lots of padding and staples, then I'm hoping to get the carpet out of my daughter's bedroom and get some new flooring down, maybe the closets too, so going to be a busy weekend, only two more left before my daughter's baby shower.

What's everyone else got going?

Really? Already? Where does the time go? It was only "yesterday" that we posted last Friday's events & plans.

Well, I'm now locked into a couple more bandsaw boxes for a young niece & my daughter. An elephant & a wolf figure respectively. One think I did this time around was to reduce the depth to 3" to keep it within the sanding limits of my Ridgid belt/spindle sander. Hate it when the washer bumps the wood! :rofl: Also trying to minimize the tight curves so the 1/2" spindle will fit & sand. Still, a good number of tight fits that will require a lot of detail hand sanding. :doh:

Weather-wise, we are in for some heavy rain this weekend from Sat afternoon through late Sun night, then warmer weather, perhaps even 65°F next Saturday! :thumb:

Last edited:
Going to get my truck out of storage today. I hope I need it next week for some lumber hauling. I say hope because escrow is still hung up waiting on a lien demand that has to be paid off before it can close. This is an example of how working with the county will be. Hurry up and wait. :peek: :yes:

I need to put up a storage shed to secure things like shovels, the wheelbarrow, the gennie, etc. Hopefully next week I can get an engineer to start on the septic plans.

Busy week next week, so this weekend will be about preparing for the coming week. Also preaching Holy Week so I need to get going on the message as well. And then there is the book. Have another chapter to tweak before it goes out to the gang. And planning the next chapter is underway. Each day here so far has been crammed with things that need doing. But it beats sitting around playing solitaire. Maybe I will get the new BBQ put together!

No big plans for Sat/Sun - except maybe plowing the snow we're supposed to get Saturday night (4~6" predicted).

As for today, Bill Grumbine just left a few minutes ago. He was nearby, visiting his daughter in New Castle, PA, and dropped by here for a visit while on his way to Columbus. Had a nice, albeit short visit. Always good to see Bill.

My new RC helicopter showed up in the mail yesterday so today will be spent chasing Coco around until Stacey catches me. Rocksmith guitar practice and maybe prep the hill for some planting in the coming weeks.

Need to finish up a flooring project and get ready for a small fence project I plan to do next weekend if the ground is warm enough. Saturday we plan on using up the rest of our firewood supply the fire pit on the patio with a few friends, but other than that we have no plans.

On call so I ain't going anywhere. Got a good start on the spring yard work last weekend and might do a bit more this depending on how the weather handles (could be rainy from the looks of it). Have a bunch of projects I could work on if I don't get sucked into something else first :D

I took Friday off - Monday also

This is a nice 4 day weekend.

Today I am working on Crown molding.

I had to go and take down a sign I made for a business in the next town over.
I used the wrong adhesive - now I need to do some major repairs to it.

Over the weekend I hope to do more crown - maybe paint a door or two. The skylight opening in the kitchen is near done and needs painting.

Soooooo - I am still remodeling. NOW - also sign repairs.

Feels like a Monday. We got hammered with a lot of work today. Then I found out an old buddy pasted away this week. Mike was a good customer and friend. He got Jacob a job in Construction when he lived at home. , Weekend has 2 birthdays , one tonight and one tomorrow then picking Shelly up at the airport Sunday. Jarrod misplaced a camera and a gun stock and has not done a lick of work all day looking for them. Customers have been in and out all day. Just a little frantic for a Friday !!!!!! So I'm going home . Picking up 4 pounds of cooked Shrimp , Plus ribs and laying back all evening.

Friday: The day started off with a phone call from the garage door company about the new door for my shop building. Since a lot of rain was forecast for today, they wanted to come by earlier to hang the door. I had done all the prep work I could yesterday, so it took only five minutes to get the old doors out of the way. The two-man crew had the new door finished in about an hour - sure works nice! Oh, the rain came about the time they had originally been scheduled to arrive!

Saturday: Shop time to work on the finish of the flag/display case for my FIL. More rain in the forecast, so no outdoor work. Maybe it's a good time to do some shop cleaning!

Sunday: Sleep in for a while - fix brunch for us - settle in for NASCAR. 'Nuff sed.....

Played the "weekend" gig last night, so got that out of the way early. My weekend schedule is pretty open, so if I'm smart I'll get our taxes started, if not completed. (No guarantees I'll be that smart.) I'll be having daily play dates with some friends' dog while they're out of town. (My 140 pound Malamute girlfriend.) And Sunday I'll be heading out to shoot with a buddy as he tries out a new pistol. Aside from that, I plan to go out and hear some live local music and hopefully catch up on some sleep.

Really? Already? Where does the time go? It was only "yesterday" that we posted last Friday's events & plans.

Well, I'm now locked into a couple more bandsaw boxes for a young niece & my daughter. An elephant & a wolf figure respectively. One think I did this time around was to reduce the depth to 3" to keep it within the sanding limits of my Ridgid belt/spindle sander. Hate it when the washer bumps the wood! :rofl: Also trying to minimize the tight curves so the 1/2" spindle will fit & sand. Still, a good number of tight fits that will require a lot of detail hand sanding. :doh:

Weather-wise, we are in for some heavy rain this weekend from Sat afternoon through late Sun night, then warmer weather, perhaps even 65°F next Saturday! :thumb:

I've got the same sander and figured out a way to get an additional inch of travel. I'll post a pic later. Or stop over tomorrow and I'll give you a coffee and a close up look :)

Not much going on. I think I'll have all day Saturday for shop time. Sunday church and Sunday dinner with a few of the kids.

Last edited:
show in Saratoga springs tomorrow night, Im a bit disappointed none of the ny members or states close enough are not attending or not mentioning they are attending.(I use deodorant and mouthwash)

Welp the weather was much much nicer than anticipated so didn't get in a lick of shop time. I did manage to get the front flower bed all cleaned out (which involved cutting back substantial amounts of juniper and then chopping it small enough to fit in the can) and a bit more yard work done in the back yard though which was good to get done.

Today we made two batches of beer - a Pale Ale and loml did a light/pale Saison. Both look like they should be fairly tasty and I wanted something a little lighter to put on tap with lawnmower weather coming on. Need to start some sourdough up again so I can do pizzas on the BBQ to have with the summer beers!