Old growth vertical grain fir mantle and bookcases

Rich Soby

Built this for a client of mine using old growth vertical grain fir, finished with Target Coatings EM8000 conversion varnish with catalyst in a semi gloss sheen.

Beautiful design, so well integrated. Nicely done. :thumb:
Really like the bead board background - nice touch! Makes things around it POP! Glad you didn't totally hide it with shelved items. :thumb:

Last edited:
:thumb::thumb::thumb: We have been doing a bunch with fir lately. so far everything we have done with it has been painted including the floor we are laying now. :doh::doh:

very different than pine. it is easily prone to tear out and can be tough to plane and mill. if ever there was a time to stand to the side when feeding stock through a machine this is one of those species. Also, if you aren't used to getting splinters before you start with this you definitely will be used to them when you are done.
As you machine it the grain will lift along the corners usually at a very sharp point.. Sanding will do the same.
Abrasive planing can be just as bad if a piece lifts. One piece ripped the paper right off the drum and went through the Velcro back. spent 20 minutes putting the machine back together...
The end result is that it is a beautiful wood when all finished but the road to get there can be paved with frustration.....

Fantastic Rich, I can only hope that customer fully appreciates your work. Looks lovely and fir is a favorite wood of mine. My first ever non school furniture project was a fir bed. Fir as in Oregon Pine or Douglas Fir.
A year ago i had to revamp that bed and purchased some Quartersawn fir oh its beautiful wood.

Really like that beadboard nice design touch. Man u do great work.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone! Aside from my hands looking like I played catch with a porcupine it was a fun project to build. And in the end the results were well worth it to see a happy customer!

Rich, you do beautiful work. I'm with everyone else; the bead board is perfect there.

Maybe we should get you a pair of those gloves that the carvers use to protect their hands. With that said I will add, I hate working in gloves.

You were very brave to turn 5/16 ths into bead board.

Enjoy,
JimB

Enjoy,
JimB

I don't know if I would call it brave making 5/16 bead board. Ya know you can buy it all made don't you Rich?:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl: