Homemade slot mortiser

Joe Meazle

Several guys asked to see pics of my slot mortiser. I had a PC router table that I out grew. I tried to sell it several times and no one wanted the darn thing. A friend of mine, Rick deRoque had made a slot mortiser that apeared in FWW it did not use balbearing slides or have the z axis adjustment. I went to look at it to get ideas. Rick just happend to have some extra ball bearing slides that he made me a great offer on. I was not even planning to use them in the SM when I left Rick's but the idea hit me on the way home. The FWW SM used t-track as the slides for the x-y table Rick used hardwood runners. i just wanted to give credit where it was due. There were several modifictions that I had to make but it is just a PC router table, ballbearing drawer slides, t-track, a press screw, some anle iron and mdf (from the HD cull pile) takes about a day and half to make. If you have questions I will try to answer them as best I can. BTW rick just got a Domino but don't tell his wife.:D :thumb:

Here are the pics.
2007_0411Niki0049.jpg

here you can see the fence mounting brackets they are reversed and modified. I had to cut relief slots in the tables for clearance.
2007_0411Niki0038.jpg

2007_0411Niki0041.jpg

2007_0411Niki0042.jpg

There are two knobs to lock the z axix in adjustment. Please forgive my duct tape dust collection:eek:
2007_0411Niki0043.jpg

2007_0411Niki0045.jpg

This is as low as the z axis will adjust
2007_0411Niki0048.jpg

This is as high as the z axis will adjust
2007_0411Niki0047.jpg

Joe,

That is a great job! I was waiting for you to show this thing over here in the Jigs and Fixtures section. Looks like that it would work really slick. Good choice of photos to show the complete setup.

Thanks a lot!!! Allen

I think I understand how it works. The router table slides in the wood at the sides, which also provides support for the mechanism with the large screw. This provides your z motion. Is this correct?

Seems like a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood would work as well as the metal router table - just mount the router directly to the plywood.

A slot mortiser is so nice for making mortises. I used a professional model at school and have been wanting to make one for my home shop for a while now. Once you use a slot mortiser you'll never go back to jigs and a router for mortises.

Thanks for posting.

Mike

Mike,
If you look in the 2nd pic you can see the black brackets that held the fence on the old router table. they are waht keep the router bit parell to the the x y table as it moves up and down. I could not just replace the top with plywood and keep it square to the rest of the asembly and still have the adjustablity. the MDF on the sides support the press scres assembly which makes it easier to adjust the z axis but is not required. The also keep things from racking. It is the fence brackets that keep things lined up. You could probally make some brackets and fit them into dados there are probably even better soulutions. I was just putting a surplus piece of equipment to work. Saddleing the white elephant so to speak. Let me know if I am not being clear or can explain somthing better. I am not very versed in this. Thank for all the interest.
joe

Last edited:
Great job, Joe. :thumb: I'm filing it away for the "to do someday" list. I've got a similar Sears benchtop router table that could easily be rigged much like you did with yours.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I just kinda made it up in a hurry. I don't have much invested in it but use it all the time. BTW the glue one the top has no function:eek: :doh: The SM lives under the table where I do my glue ups. Things get crazy when the glue starts to flow.
Joe

Joe,

Thats is very impressive! I spent some time sketching one out for myself today. if only I didn't have so many projects hanging over my head right now, I would probably be building one.

I did price out the hardware today, and it looks like I could probably make one for under $200 (as I already have a Craftsman router that is not currently being used). If only I really needed it now, that would move it up the priority list. :D

Thanks again guys. None of my hats seem to fit right now.:huh: :D :eek: :eek:

Sean,
The most expensive part for me wa the the toggle clamps. I bought four and the press screw for about $60 at WW Supply. I already had the the t-track but it is a 4" section +hadrware I got on sale at Rockler for $10. The switch (optional) was also a rockler sale item $15. The slides were $5 a pair purchsed surplus from Rick deR. Everthing else I had. I will be redoing the top table because I want to repostion the T-track and the screws are starting to pull out of the MDF. I am also going to remake my toggle boards out of som scrap hard maple I have. God luck and let me know if I can help in anyway.
Joe

"BTW rick just got a Domino but don't tell his wife."

Joe,
Shhhhh!! she might hear you . I got it safely in the shop and trying to get it dusty so when she sees it and asks if that is new I can say "oh that old thing, I've had it forever":D

Joe, you have posted more than I have ever seen you post in such a short time. :D

I still think what you did with the SM is really great.

Rick

BTW. since I have the Domino, my slot mortiser is for sale. It doesn't have the Z axis like Joe's (I use shims). Router not included. The aluminum router plate is drilled for the PC690 and the PC8529. $40.00. Too heavy to ship.

rick

PS Hope I'm not hijacking the thread, just thought since we are talking SM. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• slot mortiser.jpg
    slot mortiser.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Rick,
i know I usually stay pretty quiet an just try to learn form reading others posts. but I had to post on the Tenon thread in the general section. And that lead to some questions and this thread.

BTw do you still want to go see Sam Maloof together on Sat.? (stealth gloat)

Joe,

Now THAT is good ole American Ingenuity at it’s best! :thumb:

Like Vaughn , I also have an old Sears router table.
Ohh..! the possibilities for that old faithful table thanks to you!
I made a lot of projects on that cheap old table.

Problem is I gotta get my new regular router table built first.
I hope to start this weekend.:eek:

Lord willing and the devil don’t dance!

Thanks Joe, that’s on my to do list for sure.