Drill Press Recommendations please

Rob Keeble

Ok so I am in the market for a floor mounted drill press. This time i want to get it right.

So whats a good floor mount drill press for woodworking and mechanical work and please no Delta recommendations, i wont support a company that dont keep parts for a few years old mass produced item where they messed up in the first place.

Thanks for any recommendations or what to look for.

Last year I purchased the Jet, 17" that was for "wood workers". The only difference between it and the regular 17", I thought was it came with a bigger table. Now I'm thinking there is more to it. I recently saw one of the belts was starting to fray, so I thought I should get a new set to have on hand. Hummm I could only find one place to order them from and I also found out they are not the same built used in their other 17" DP. The ones that go an mine are not as heavy duty. Now I'm wondering about other parts that may be lighter duty then on the other 17". I'm telling this little story just as a caution if you are buying one, and it says "for woodworking" maybe you have better get the one not "for woodworking" it may be heavier duty. Just a thought, I have not research it because I have what I have and can't change it now. I kept my old DP and will use it for metal drilling and heavy stuff.

I know I shouldn't even post this, cause I'll get a lot of flak, but my Harbor Freight drill press has been performing flawlessly for 20+ years.

Actually, I seem to remember the HF model was the top model in a DP tool review a few years back. Nothing magic about building a DP, and the imports all have some relation to each other. If money was no consideration I might look at that Powermatic that made for woodworker's.

The ONE feature on my Jet is the stop adjustments on the quill. I can set the depth - but ALSO set the retract. I see that on no other. I bought the JET because of that one feature. I use that ALL the TIME.

If you never used it - you may never miss it. If you have it - there is no turning back.

In comparisons from one drill press to another - I think the only thing of any real importance is the play between the spindle and the housing. Second thing might be distance between spindle and upright shaft. Then Horsepower. The table size - maybe, but most people make a table, I did not.

Speeds - it's a bunch of sales hype. Unless you are drilling metals - speed doesn't really matter. There are huge debates over speeds, but I have been in the shop making all sort of hole in all sorts of woods. Going from a 1/16 drill to a 1" forstner bit all at 500 RPM in Pine or Oak or Maple -- it is all about the same. I get beat up all the time on this point - so a little more beating will not matter - but neither does the speeds.

All I am saying it - I would not pay a plug nickel for more than the standard number of speeds - and 3 speeds is plenty.

I want to win PowerBall so I can manufacture a very good drill press that is within the financial means of the common man. I may not make a fortune but, I am sure to make a couple of thousand guys happy.

All I want is:
- A 20" swing
- Rock solid quill (my current one does not have this)
- Table that tilts on X and Y axis (my current one does have this and I use it all the time)
- Variable speed from a true 120 RPM to around 3000 RPM (my current one bottoms out at 250 RPM) or at least an easy belt changing mechanism like the Delta 18-900L
- Easy of table raise/lower (my current one has a decent mechanism)
- Easily operated quill lock / depth lock
- A light with a long enough neck to get where I heed it and a small enough head to not be in the way once it gets there
- A switched outlet for a vacuum (OK, I am getting silly now)

Last edited:
I have a very old Craftsman floor model (radial) DP with (8) speeds from 380-8550 rpm. I do use the various speeds as dictated by the size of the drill, material & to get a decent surface finish for both metal & wood. Guess I never dropped the habit from my old Tool & Die maker days. I can't recommend this DP as it is too old, too light duty (only 1/2 HP), only a 9" swing & is no longer offered. However one feature I do like & would recommend your consideration & which I have used quite a number of times is the high end speed(s) for "routing" on the table, either freehand or with a fence. It's really nice to see what is going on, rather than blind routing, but SAFETY GLASSES are a MUST, especially when used this way!!! Additionally, features that should also fall into the "MUST" category would include tilt, ease of raising/lowering, good swing (at least 15"), good spindle stroke (6"), depth setting, 1 HP, both wood & metal capability as for sure you'll gravitate to some metal work, good lighting & oops, I think I just duplicated Glenn's thought. Guess I should read all the posts before jumping in.

I want to win PowerBall so I can manufacture a very good drill press that is within the financial means of the common man. I may not make a fortune but, I am sure to make a couple of thousand guys happy.

All I want is:
- A 20" swing
- Rock solid quill (my current one does not have this)
- Table that tilts on X and Y axis (my current one does have this and I use it all the time)
- Variable speed from a true 120 RPM to around 3000 RPM (my current one bottoms out at 250 RPM) or at least an easy belt changing mechanism like the Delta 18-900L
- Easy of table raise/lower (my current one has a decent mechanism)
- A light with a long enough neck to get where I heed it and a small enough head to not be in the way once it gets there.
- A switched outlet for a vacuum (OK, I am getting silly now)

I think I remember a similar quote by Henry Ford about affordable automobiles, can't afford a new F150 now days without a second mortgage. :)

I'd like a new drill press, with the name "Bridgeport" riveted on the front with a large x/y table. For now I have to live with the one Dad handed down, which is "Buffalo" (a pre HF Chinese version). He upgraded the 1/2 HP motor to a 3/4 HP and it done just about anything I've needed to do.

Say what you want but if you ever watched Matthais Wandel build his machines he use a cheap bench top drill press. The precision comes in your layout. I know everyone here will disagree but sorry it's the truth. I've been building things with a harbor freight bench top drill press and had to sell that when we moved to Texas. I still regret that to this day as that was one of the best $59 drill presses I ever used bar none. Norma bought me a Clarke floor model from Tractor Supply one year for Christmas for $169. It did everything I ever asked from wood working to metal working. Now I also have a huge Wilton A5816 VS that Norma twisted my arm to buy for only $150 and I still find myself going for the Clarke when I need to drill holes.

I'd like a new drill press, with the name "Bridgeport" riveted on the front with a large x/y table.

Now yer talken Buddy :thumb::thumb:

One of the best drill press I had was a Buffalo (pre harbor freight) It out lased the Delta and cheap Powermatic both of which in my opinion are JUNK :dunno:

Very happy with my Steel City drill press but after the Bandsaw fiasco I'm a little shy of them.

Last edited:
Rob, I have been very happy with my Delta 18-900L. The things I was looking for in DP were quill travel and I wanted it to have the ability to go fairly slow, so that I could use it with metal drilling also. Most of the ones I found either didn't have enough quill travel to suite me, or they couldn't go slow enough. The Delta fit the bill on all counts and I also love the table on it. It's expensive but I think it's well worth the cost.

In order to try to be constructive I will add credence to Earl's post. The Delta 18-900 does seem to be at the top of the heap in meeting my list of wants. Dad and brother have the 17-959 and it is quite a step up from my 17-950; a very different format machine. Grizzly had made noise about a future DP that would really please woodworker's but, the latest offering appears to be trying to be all things to all people; never a formula for success. Hmm, I was going to post a like but, do not actually find it currently on their website. It is in the catalog but, I was only using it as a negative reference anyway ;-) How are the General offerings on your side of the border?