How is this lathe?

It would probably be okay if you are a thimble turner only. There are several problem with lathes like that in my opinion. Underpowered, too weak of ways and will flex, spindles an off size so you are very limited in accessories that you can get, like chucks, probably no repair parts available. Yep the old Craftsman contractor saws were/are good. I used on for 30 years, but craftsman was not noted for their lathes. I have read a few good reviews on their newer lathes but until recent years they didn't have a very good reputation. Just MHO (My Humble Opinion).

Don't let the $100 price tag fool you. That lathe is MAYBE worth about $20. The reason the seller mentions that it's "hardly ever used" is because it's hardly ever usable.

Roger, I realize in re-reading this thread that it could seem like we're all ganging up on you to shoot down your idea. Trust me when I say our snarky comments are not directed at you in any way...they are all directed at the lathe. We just don't want you to spend your money on something that's ultimately not going to make you happy. ;) So keep looking, and keep asking questions...sooner or later you'll find the right lathe. :thumb:

Roger, I realize in re-reading this thread that it could seem like we're all ganging up on you to shoot down your idea. Trust me when I say our snarky comments are not directed at you in any way...they are all directed at the lathe. We just don't want you to spend your money on something that's ultimately not going to make you happy. ;) So keep looking, and keep asking questions...sooner or later you'll find the right lathe. :thumb:

Thanks, Vaughn, but I didn't take it that way at all. I was taken aback by how firmly everyone shot down that lathe, but I trust your experience, and I know from my own experience that a poor lathe isn't a bargain at any price. I must admit that without you guys to turn to, I probably would have bought that lathe, and ended up with something not much better than the HF lathe I sold last fall.

So, I appreciate all your comments. :)