Google Sketchup Pro 2014 is there a free edition

Rob Keeble

A while back i downloaded and installed and removed my sketchup free edition. I thought that Google sketchup 2014 would revert to the free edition at the end of the trial. Well i have been using my downloaded version of pro and the trial ran out.

Anyone know how we convert this to the free version or do i have to uninstall and get my backup out and reinstall the last known free version?

Thanks for any help. I cannot even get into the program to look for a menu option to convert back to free version.

Might be time to buy a proper cad program i still battle with sketchup.

My understanding is that SketchUp 2014 pro reverts to the free version when you've ended the 8 hour trial period. Does it still open and run for you?

With version 8, Google made it so you would have to download and install the free version after the pro trial expired. With SU2013 this was changed back so the program should just revert to the free version. Basically the pro-only features become non-functional.

You don't have to uninstall older versions of SketchUp in order to install and run a newer version. On my MacBook Pro I still have V7, V7.1, V8, V2013 and V2014.

By the way, it hasn't been "Google" SketchUp for almost two years. Google sold SketchUp to Trimble.

I wish I could understand and help you with your "battle" with SketchUp. It shouldn't be that way.

Thanks guys , I had to download Make edition then uninstall the 2014 pro edition before make would allow me to install then install make and then i had to accept the non commercial use license for Make. Thank goodness this worked because i tried to open files i had made in pro with a prior version and they would not open. I was sweating bullets and getting mad at myself for biting the bullet and working with the upgraded pro version. All is good now.

As to learning sketchup Bill i have worked with Dave before even have his DVD that i purchased the issue is as with all things if you dont get to use them all the time then you loose it and i find i have to start all over again. The result is one tends to use very basic features then and it can get a little frustrating at times.

Here is what i battle with. Say you designing something from scratch. I am doing this every time i draw because what the heck you drawing for otherwise. Now i get the whole make components idea but....before one can make a component one has to come up with the idea. So way i see it then i have to draw twice because i find it hard to make a side panel as a component on its own when i need dimensions from the rest of the design to carry over to the component.

I end up reverting to paper and pencil and then making a neat layout in sketchup. I guess old dogs just dont change that easily. I learnt to draw using pencil and set square. LOL

This is no different in my view to hand cut dovetails. Its no use trying to learn these things when you need to do it NOW. One needs to have had the discipline to get the skill under ones belt prior so its available when you need it. My sponge can only take so much at the moment. duh.

Nope. Nothing wrong with paper and pencil and T-square, triangles, scales and eraser. On the other hand, I've never erased a hole in my computer screen. :D

...Here is what i battle with. Say you designing something from scratch. I am doing this every time i draw because what the heck you drawing for otherwise. Now i get the whole make components idea but....before one can make a component one has to come up with the idea. So way i see it then i have to draw twice because i find it hard to make a side panel as a component on its own when i need dimensions from the rest of the design to carry over to the component.

I end up reverting to paper and pencil and then making a neat layout in sketchup. I guess old dogs just dont change that easily. I learnt to draw using pencil and set square. LOL

This is no different in my view to hand cut dovetails. Its no use trying to learn these things when you need to do it NOW. One needs to have had the discipline to get the skill under ones belt prior so its available when you need it. My sponge can only take so much at the moment. duh.

Yet you think a CAD program will be somehow different? ;) :D

Here is what i battle with. Say you designing something from scratch. I am doing this every time i draw because what the heck you drawing for otherwise. Now i get the whole make components idea but....before one can make a component one has to come up with the idea. So way i see it then i have to draw twice because i find it hard to make a side panel as a component on its own when i need dimensions from the rest of the design to carry over to the component.

Speaking as one who fought with SketchUp alone to the point of nearly walking away, I know of what I speak. Before I blather on, the thing you describe here "i find it hard to make a side panel as a component on its own when i need dimensions from the rest of the design to carry over to the component" is well covered in Dave's Google SketchUp Guide for Woodworkers, the Basics - DVD. I learned a lot from what he was showing but, I learned even more in watching 'how' he was doing what he was showing.

Pencil and paper are great but, SketchUp adds 'what if?' functions to try out design modifications quickly and painlessly, automatic alteration of dimensions and so forth. Dave Richards helped me make the jump to that ah-ha moment where I suddenly realized I was looking at a two dimensional representation of a three dimensional space.

"Space" . . . that is the key for me. While working I have to live in the three dimensional space I am creating although I am looking at it in two dimensions. The years of 2D application use had a deeper grip on me than I thought. I am no expert and I am not into the very involved renderings and so forth but, for sketching out a design idea, finalizing it or modifying it while in progress, SketchUp is working for me.

Well fortunately i purchased Daves video/tutorial great investment. Its been ages close to 18 months since i watched it and went back through it as a refresher. This time though i followed along on a different screen handy to have more than one computer and screen this time around. Picked up a few more things that i hope stick in the head this time. Now i am gonna get back to my original drawing i am trying to finish.

Thanks Dave that tutorial series you did was excellent and real great value for money. You have a really great voice and way of teaching this stuff. Handy to have the transcripts and cheatsheet. I had forgotten about it but made myself a cardstock version this time with the quickreference on one side and cheatsheet on other.

Anyone who has not got this video guide here is a link to where you can buy it. Only $16.95 but real handy to have. http://www.finewoodworking.com/item...for-woodworkers-the-basics-with-dave-richards

Rob,

I too had the challenge you hove. I tested SketchList 3D out several years ago and haven't looked back. The pro version I have is on special for $200 and that ends tomorrow night then it goes to $750. In Sketchlist you put cabinets and furniture together board by board.

Jack

Thanks guys , I had to download Make edition then uninstall the 2014 pro edition before make would allow me to install then install make and then i had to accept the non commercial use license for Make. Thank goodness this worked because i tried to open files i had made in pro with a prior version and they would not open. I was sweating bullets and getting mad at myself for biting the bullet and working with the upgraded pro version. All is good now.

As to learning sketchup Bill i have worked with Dave before even have his DVD that i purchased the issue is as with all things if you dont get to use them all the time then you loose it and i find i have to start all over again. The result is one tends to use very basic features then and it can get a little frustrating at times.