Vase, yeah you guessed it with spirals

neil mackay

I have busy knocking a out a few open spiral forms this being the first one in Camphor Laurel 9" high 7.7" wide at the top, oiled and will be buffed later. The foot is a little different to what I usually do, seems to work.

C.C's welcome

Attachments

• spiral vase 008.jpg
    spiral vase 008.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 53
  • spiral vase 011.jpg
    spiral vase 011.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 36
Beautiful design. Do you make them in pairs, or just one offs?

It's unique things like this that interior designers like to middle-man to their high-income clients.

Very nice work indeed!

If I may ask, about how many hours do you figure you have into such a project?
Specifically the carving of the spirals?

How do you do the spirals, I imagine by hand, but do you first cut with a coping saw, for example to remove most of the material then go to a dremel like tool or....?

Really a nice organic piece.

Cheers!

Very nice work indeed!

If I may ask, about how many hours do you figure you have into such a project?
Specifically the carving of the spirals?

How do you do the spirals, I imagine by hand, but do you first cut with a coping saw, for example to remove most of the material then go to a dremel like tool or....?

Really a nice organic piece.

Cheers!

Gary you have picked a fair bit of it already. I have pneumatic sabre saw the blades is about 2.5" long. I mark out the line in pencil including the gap and as you surmised I use a Dremel. Finishing is a slow process as its done by hand and at a rough guess I would say 10-12 hrs. The turning and Dremel work etc all up maybe 4-5 hrs.
The open spirals in soft wood are a breeze , I did one in Blue Gum and it was painful more than 30 hrs all up, just damn hard timber. But on the up side what a great finish it produces.

Attachments

• spiral vase 010.jpg
    spiral vase 010.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
that's it, Im selling my lathe.

Im not a turner, but man o man I cant even figure out how youd even make something that intense and beautiful.

neil, if you ever fly into NY and need a place to crash, bring along one of your small pieces so I can see it up close and personal, you never know, things get lost in my house quickly.

Another great piece, Hughie. :clap: It's cool to see you stepping outside of your box a little, yet still retaining your signature style. :thumb:

thanks guys, these sorts of things are all one offs

Another great piece, Hughie. :clap: It's cool to see you stepping outside of your box a little, yet still retaining your signature style. :thumb:
Sometimes Vaughn its a bit hard think out side the square. The rut must burn pathways in the brain and it wants to think along the easy lines of the past. :) I spent a fair bit of time fiddling around with the curve to get it right and as with a lot of what I do it changes as I go along form the original concept and this one was no exception. Tend to out design my current capability and it never sinks in till I'm there :D