Looking for a tractor - YaaHOO!

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
and I could use some help.

What I have in mind is a John Deere in the 400 series. They were powered with ~20 HP engines and have hydraulic point fore and aft, maybe even mid point for the deck. I want the ability to put a blade on the front, and use a 3-point hitch in the back. These particular machines were used a lot for snow blowing. They have a lot of power for a yard tractor.

Years ago I had a compact tractor for my acre plus. Way to big for what I have now. If there is another brand with those features I am willing to consider it. I'll go as far as MI to get it. Budget is upwards of $2K, but I hope that would include at least the mowing deck. I have found them for ~$1200 and that would be super. Less would be even better. :rofl:

I am watching eBay and Craigslist but either they are gone in a flash or the seller cannot get around the idea of selling to someone so far away. Little do they know how many friends I have. :thumb: :D

So here is the deal. If you are willing to keep an eye out, I will contact the seller (or you may, especially if you happen to know the person). If the price is right and the machine is as represented, I will express mail a cashier's check to you. If you then could pick it up and hold it for me, I will plan a Larry type road trip to come and get it. No money on your part and I will pay you fuel costs for looking at it and dragging it home with you.

A lot to ask, I know, but you are a generous lot and there may be some who would be willing to do this for me. You would not be held responsible for the machine. Just check that it is as represented. I'd even consider one with a bad engine, but it would have to be really cheap. Re-power is $1500 and up.

Then you would become part of the saga of Five Talents. And another great road trip to boot.

Thanks in advance.

FOUND ONE! Seller will hold. I will leave here in Bruiser to go get Big John on April 21. Headed to KC, MO. Maybe Darren's up for a Family visit. And I'll look for other stops along the way. Trip planning later today! Yippee!

Last edited:
Good luck. $1,200.00 doesn't buy much in the way of tractors. :( Around me you will see a lot of 8N Ford's but at that price they need restoring.
I have had three antiques and they required constant attention. Look for farm auctions, some models are not popular and bargain prices sometimes can be got. There are several tractor discussion forums, try those. I found parts for my antiques through them.

Knowing you're experienced with motorcycles, how about a compact 2-wheeler?

tumblr_n3sgltqrT81sls0ndo1_500.jpg

:D

More photos here:

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/119005-tractorcycle-tractorbike-farmall-cub-tra?in=632

Carol, I infrequently visit a tractor forum. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1031749

You might find some things out here. Kubota or Kioti are names that come up as good for that sized tractor. Old 8N and 9N Fords are at best overglorified wheel barrows, a pain to get in/on with a loader attached. Most old tractors you get on from the back (near the pto), newer tractors you enter the deck from the front. There are a ton of variables. You have a past ownership to glean from and that will be beneficial. Some of the chinese knock offs have a good up front price but are questionable. Parts have to be waited on, no dealership network, etc.

I gave $3,400.00 for my Oliver 1650 (gas) and put a loader on it I had. But I use it to move 1800# round bales from both ends.

Don't know if this is what you are looking for: http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/grd/4392907198.html

Or: http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/grd/4417558774.html
which gives you a ROPS (roll over protective structure)

Or: http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/grd/4417252267.html

Or: http://kokomo.craigslist.org/grd/4414510022.html

I am watching the tractor forums. I have seen more than a few in the above price range, so I am hopeful. I am working on one in the KC area today. Needs a motor though,

Keepin' at it. Thanks for your help. And thanks, Jon. Some too big or too expensive. The AC had nothing but pictures, so not sure about hydraulics but I may look into it later.

And thanks to Frank for his best wishes and to Vaughn for his creativity. I suspect this last one was from the baker's brother-in-law? :rofl:

Carol, you bought yourself a tiny bit of land, and you're going to put a compact house on it, plus a shop, and you've talked about it being a tight squeeze what with the septic and all .... and now you're buying a tractor. :huh:

This forum has the most interesting stories!!! :D

with gasoline at 3.50 plus a gallon, have you calculated the costs of schlepping a heavy tractor cross country?
maybe it pays to pay a little more and purchase one a bit more expensive on the west coast?

btw, I admire your energy.

@Allen. Bruiser uses diesel and yep, $4 a gallon. But what I want is not on this coast at any price.

@Bob & Art. It is my personal back saver. Think motorized hauler, shover, dragger, digger. And maybe even mower. Who knows. BTW I got a blade with it!

@Darren. Week of April 21. Details later.

For those along I40, US54, I35, I would love to stop for a family visit. Vaughn?

@Jay. Maybe a detour on the way home. Would also love to visit Melissa.

Anyway, I am plumb giddy! :bliss:

Diesels have their own drawbacks, especially older ones. The fuel pump on my MH went out, replacement was $1,500.00. Mechanic installing it broke it, another $800.00 for repairs. :( And, if the tank runs dry, it can be a real chore to get air out of the lines and restart. I do mean a real chore. That is a long drive and lotsa gasoline to pick up a tractor. Gotta think there is something closer to you.

Deed is done, Frank. The tractor is a gas model. It is a JD 400. Lottsa power and hydraulics. The F250 is a diesel. Used to have a diesel tractor when I had bigger dirt. I know about letting the tank run dry. That's something you only do once in life.

The only sub-compact tractors available out here are LT disposable models. Not enough beef in them to do more than mow. Grass is not a something I am interested in. Don't expect to need a mower deck. I need a hauler. My back will thank me for it.

Only part replacement on the diesel tractor over 25 years was the water pump. Expensive because the tractor (Ford) was made in Japan. Found a local guy who rebuilt mine. I have a really great tractor repair guy locally who I hope is still in business. Plan to look him up today. Never know.

Speaking of mechanics. Your mechanic broke a $1500 part he was replacing for you and you had to pay $800 for repairs? Think I'd find another mechanic!

Glad you are happy with the choice.
Your mechanic broke a $1500 part he was replacing for you and you had to pay $800 for repairs? Think I'd find another mechanic!

The pump he broke was a new in the box, ca. 1948 pump. He installed then turned over without lubricating or moving by hand first. Twisted the dickens out of everything. I had to ship it east for repairs. I had thoughts of doing more to him than replacing. Lucky for him I cooled down before making a decision on what to do about him. I did replace him but put off calling cousin Rocco from Chicago.

There are a few dozen 8/9n's in the Central Valley and every implement you could hope for...they are kind of the Swiss Army knife of tractors. Shouldn't be hard to track down one on line.

No argument from me, Jim. But 8/9N's have been antiques for decades. Parts are getting very pricey. I decided against one of those back '79 when I bought the Ford diesel new.

So this time around its John Deere green.

Besides, it's also a ROADTRIP!

Carol, I'll probably be available for a visit. Don't have room to put you up for the night (heck, barely have room to offer you a place to sit down, with all the guitars in this apartment), but it'd be great to see you. Keep me posted as your plans firm up.