Flag & Medal Display Case

Bill Arnold

Staff member
While I've been working on other items, I also designed and built a display case for a veteran's burial flag and medals for my FIL. He had admired a few of them at the funeral home when my wife's grandmother died three years ago, but didn't like their prices. At the time, I volunteered to build one for him, but he wasn't ready to commit, I think because it made him feel the inevitable was closer. In any event, during our last visit to their home about six months ago, he mentioned a display case again, so I got busy on it when we returned home. We drove to their home near Birmingham this week and I presented him with the completed case.

Stupid me...I forgot to take some good photos of the completed case before we left home, so I had to make do. Here's a fairly decent photo of the case.

FC_01_a.jpg

I chose some of the fine Michigan chocolate bestowed on me a couple of years ago. I cut the sides and top pieces from one board so the grain had continuity up, across and down.

FC_01_b.jpg

Here are the parts after I had finished the wood before assembly. The finish is a couple of hand-rubbed coats of tung oil (the real stuff), followed by two coats of 1/1/1 tung oil, naphtha, satin poly. I top-coated it with three coats of satin WOP.

FC_01_c.jpg

Very nice Bill dont know how i missed this first time round. Walnut looks good.:thumb:

Can you fold the Stars and Stripes to have it show only stars? :) Had a couple of ex marines show me how. ;):thumb:

Very nice Bill dont know how i missed this first time round. Walnut looks good.:thumb:

Can you fold the Stars and Stripes to have it show only stars? :) Had a couple of ex marines show me how. ;):thumb:

Thanks, Rob.

When a burial size US flag (5' by 9.5') is folded properly, the stars are on the outside of a triangle about 22" by 16" by 16", which is the size of the upper compartment of the case.