On the way to KC

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
Week from today I head out across the states from CA to KS to pick up Big John.

Stops planned in Strawberry, AZ Sunday night at a friend's and Albuquerque Monday night with Vaughn. Looking for a visit in SW KS or thereabouts on Tuesday night. In KC Wednesday night with Darren. In Republic, MO Thursday night with Jay. A visit in SW OK or NW TX would be welcome on Friday. Back in mid NM on Saturday, maybe Socorro. Arizona Sunday and Monday with friends. Back home in CA on Tuesday.

Thus far visits are arranged in AZ, Albuquerque, KC, and Republic, MO. If you'd like a visit in any of the other spots, let me know. I bring gifts, offer transportation for tools or wood changing hands along the way. Or whatever is reasonable. There will be pictures and maybe even cookies.

I am passionate about meeting family members face to face. So don't feel you have to be a regular member here or offer exquisite dining or anything else. A chance to meet is all I ask. A recommendation of an inexpensive clean place to spend the night, a bunch of good conversation, a little swapping of tales, maybe a cold beverage and a bite is my plan. I will leave you with a blessing as you watch my taillights moving on down the road.

Just PM me, or post here and we will work something out.

Carl,
What is your schedule when you hit the great state of Missouri? I know you will be picking up tractor in KC and then down to Republic. As I live in Carthage I would like to spin over and meet the pair of you. You are also cordially invited to stop at my digs as it is on the way back west just outside Joplin. Would love to meet Jay as just bought some stuff from him.
Sincerely
David

Chains and binders. Straps stretch with moisture and temp changes. Minimum 4 hitching points from the tractor to the trailer. Make sure your load is centered with more weight on tongue than on back. Use a pipe to tighten the binders and be careful when releasing them. Seems awkward, but hook them so you are pulling down to lock them. Enjoy, be careful and have fun.

Thanks, Jon. But no trailer. Don't have one heavy enough. So it goes in the back of the full size pickup. According to tractordata.com, it should fit. Barely. Bring ramps and tie downs. You are right about chain binders though I no longer own any. And my chains are lost in a couple of trailers for a while. Though that may also slow down thieves. One guy on a tractor forum I visit when to get a tractor. Overnight at the motel, the straps on his tractor were cut and the machine went missing. Gave me something to think about!

I have a couple of steel cables I had planned to lock around it. Was going to use 2" ratchet straps to tie it in four places. Tractor is nearly a 1000 pounds. Kinda hard to steal, but thieves work harder at not working honestly than working honestly requires as we all know.

David, I plan to be at Jay's late Thursday, April 24. I am sure he would like to meet you as well. I sure look forward to it. PM Jay and get his address.

To be more correct: Big BAD John. And that works too! :)

And that was Tennessee Ernie Ford. He was a Thursday night staple at our house in the late '50's.

All greek to me.:rofl:

But do consider wrapping it with a tarp when you park overnight. That at least keeps it out of eyesight. I would still buy some more chain and while strapped down chain and lock the whole lot together. (Belts and braces :) ) Make life as difficult as possible for any crook. You one heck of a lady you got my admiration and i agree nothing beats a roadtrip.

Gees, guys. I remember Tennessee Ernie singing and I Googled that, and sho'nuff, I remembered correctly.

Won't argue that Jimmy Dean didn't. Just that TEF did. Hard to forget that basso profundo dragging out "Big John...."

I guess its the time of the season for tractors and tractor accessories.
while driving through rural PA this past weekend, out near Harrisburg then going back east into Hershey and Lancaster, seemed all the rural farming areas tons of tractor accessories placed roadside with for sale signs on them.
equipment of all sizes and shapes.
a lot of Kubota brand? tractors.
many john deere tractors, tuff to shoot pics while driving 55 on single lane roads.

I did get one shot of one that I think carol is thinking somewhat along these lines, but this guy had a price of 6000 on this, sign stated less than 48 hours use, but it looks like it saw a bit more than that.

youre on the wrong coast carol, out here, seems people in every town are trading up equipment this time of year.

this deere tractor was actually in a town , outside of Lancaster, not a farm.

Attachments

• patrip 002.jpg
    patrip 002.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 30
You are right, Allen. This is that time of year. It is also why I am driving half way across the country to get my new to me tractor. I got a good deal and the seller is happy to sell it to me.

And I get to have a few family visits along the way. How cool is that!! There will be pictures.

Im sure seeing the beautiful countryside and visiting everyone is well worth the long ride.

we just got back from 4 days of cruising around the PA countryside. was great.
83 degrees first day, 79 degrees next day, driving with the top down, got a nice tan. saw all the sites. picked up some shoefly pie (I cant eat anything like that) and chocolate in Hershey for friends and family.
the only downside to it all, was that with the top down and the sun cooking everything , the freshly fertilized fields really woke you up.

I told my wife, it may be manure to you, but its their bread and butter.