Wood workers of another sort

Fantastic video thanks for sharing it Dave, fascinating industrious animals for sure. What a lucky guy to be able to witness something like that. Incredible that they don't appear to be fazed by his presence.

I used to go out into the woods at night to see what I could see. One night, I was crouching at the edge of a pond, listening, when something made me turn and fire my flashlight to my right. I saw a big head with a tiny little red eye swimming through the water. I stood up, and she slapped her tail and went under. Then the one that was quietly working by my feet tail-slapped and I jumped about six feet in the air. They were blocking the exit from the pond, and when I came back a few years later, there was a four-foot dam with a much bigger pond behind it. There were a lot of beaver-chewed stumps around.

I was fly fishing in a slow moving river many years ago. All alone, very peaceful and very focused on presenting the fly properly, mending it with the current. Never saw the beaver until it was behind me. Was in a back cast & all hell exploded. Holy Moly what a scare! Only my laundry man will know how bad.

PS Love those animals, but boy oh boy can they be destructive, and in a short time. Lost many trees at a previous home. Had them trapped & replanted elsewhere.

Last edited: