Rigid Belt Osc sander

Rob Keeble

Given a few here have this Rigid Sander, i was wondering if anyone has had issues with the unit starting up. Mine sometimes does not get going until i do the hand helping thing. Its as if a start capacitor is faulty. BUt i also see this unit has a start relay of sorts.

Anyone had a problem like this with theirs. I shudder to think of trying to get Rigid to fix this in Canada. May be a easier path just to fix it myself.

Thought i would check see if anyone has had the same problem and if so what the fix was. Thanks

How's your dust collection on that thing Rob? I worked mine hard for years but, always had dust collection hooked up. When I had it serviced for a shudder in the drive the guy asked me if I ever used it ;-) I had made the common mod to the collection to improve it.

It is easy to get in there and blow the heck out of the motor and drive. I'll cross my fingers for an easy fix :thumb:

Last edited:
How's your dust collection on that thing Rob? I worked mine hard for years but, always had dust collection hooked up. When I had it serviced for a shudder in the drive the guy asked me if I ever used it ;-) I had made the common mod to the collection to improve it.

It is easy to get in there and blow the heck out of the motor and drive. I'll cross my fingers for an easy fix :thumb:

Thanks Glenn but I have not been able to use it enough to make enough dust to clog it up. Mine started doing this right from the beginning. Thing is i thought it was the power in this house. BUt for winter i moved it indoors and it did the same thing.

Have not been able to find anything about this on the web even on the rigid forum not to say my searching is the best. Will get stuck into it on the weekend and take a look inside just in case. Then i think i will spring for one of the start relays and shotgun fix it which will be quicker and less aggro than trying to get rigid here to do something.

Bummer. Nothing beats trouble with a new tool. This sounds like a DOA defect to me. Is the Ridgid service really that bad on your side of the line? I see the unit must be shipped to a service center but, the unit is only 40lbs. It might be worth it to not have a tool that you look at sideways every time you use it. They will most likely NOT honor the warranty if the unit has been tampered with (that is if they can tell).

I think you should give Ridgid a chance to make it right. I don't know exactly which sander you are talking about. I just purchased their spindle/belt sander. Is that the one? I haven't even plugged mine in yet.

Tracked down receipt and a local service place that will do the repairs on site so taking unit in to have them look at it under warranty. Will report back. Hold thumbs.:thumb:

Well so happens after 3 weeks yesterday i got a call to pick mine up they put a new motor in it. So hopefully touch wood it was worth taking it to a service center. Time will tell. Got to pick it up this week.