Queen Platform Bed - Completed - Finally!!!

Bill Arnold

Staff member
Two years ago (but who's counting) I started a thread on a queen platform bed and night stand for our guest room. Well, after taking a few side trips on other projects and honey-dos around home, I finally got through the process of finishing and assembling the bed in the house.

Here's the result of our labors.

QPB_101.jpg

We used red oak for all of the visible parts of the bed and nightstand. The foot board (as well as drawer fronts) are two boards edge-glued together. What you see here is one continuous piece in which I ran dadoes to give it the appearance of a drawer and two panels.

QPB_102.jpg

Two drawers on each side of the bed provide a lot of storage. Internal measurements of the drawers are 25" side-to-side, 23.25" front-to-back and 9" deep.

QPB_103.jpg

Access to the space near the head of the bed is via segments of the platform that lift out after sliding the mattress down a bit.

QPB_104.jpg

The choice of red oak was based on this headboard LOML inherited from her grandmother. She had always liked the headboard and, although we had talked about making a new one using veneers, etc., decided this is what she wanted us to use.

QPB_105.jpg

The nightstand top is made with four sections cut from a piece of 3/4" oak veneer plywood and glued into the pattern you see, then wrapped with solid oak.

QPB_106.jpg

As always, comments and critique are welcome!

Beautiful furniture. Your wife was right; using grandmother's headboard was the correct thing to do.

Now, if you could age wine like you age furniture* you would have it made
*---The end product is aged 2 years and it hasn't even been finished yet.

Just think of the millions of gallons of wine that could be out on sale 2 years sooner. Just the $ savings in rent for the storage, $ saved from temperature control, $ in labor saved should make the wine business very profitable.

Seriously though, it is great furniture.

Enjoy,
JimB

Very well done! I like the look - art deco? Beautiful use of grain and great finish.

Thanks, Rennie. The headboard dates from back in the art deco era and incorporates many of its elements. Some of the design features I used come from pieces I built during my tenure working in a cabinet shop after I "retired". The rounded corners are similar to those used on motor yacht furniture.

Since you mentioned finish, I guess I'll go through it now since I left it out of my original post. :eek:

Since I wanted to tone down the grain contrast of the red oak a bit, I sprayed the bare wood with Target sanding sealer before wiping on some TT Brown Mahogany dye mixed in DA. Next, I sprayed on four coats of EM6000 Clear Gloss and topcoated it with EM6000 Satin. The four coats of gloss were actually two sessions in one day spraying two directions each time.

Beautiful match to the existing headboard and it is always a good thing in my eyes to reuse family items. Nice color match and the extra storage will always come in handy.

Very nice, Bill. :thumb:

...I really like how you rounded the corners to compliment the headboard.

I was thinking the same thing about the corners.

Bill that is terrific.

That is a bucket list item for me to do, for our king soft side waterbed.

My first wife had a waterbed pedestal along the same lines as Bill's (drawers and cabinet storage) that she built in high school woodshop. It was very useful furniture, and someday I'd like to do something similar for my waterbed. :yes:

Excellent Bill, great use of the space beneath the bed, really beats chasing dust bunnys out from under the bed. But that Headboard i just love. Art deco was before my time but i always thought i was a throw back from the past. I had actually thought you made it until i read you write up. Wonderful how you matched everything to it I would never have said the various parts were not the same build. I really like the curves. So much today is just made square for easier cuts and material usage your missus has good taste thank goodness that headboard did not end up in the landfill.

There is one thing though that i would like to ask all the ladies, why we still got to have these lace doilies on furniture. :rofl: Seems to be the universal womans code to have these things more so than men carrying pocket knives. LOL.

Lace doilies. My grandmother was very fond of them and it was a rite of passage to learn to crochet them when growing up. I hated them because they made dusting a pain. However, from her point of view they 'set off' whatever was placed on them. I agree they do hide lovely wood grain, but then so does whatever is placed on the surface. My mother quit using them later in her life.

Just one old girl's POV. And yes, I did learn how to crochet them. No, I don't know how any longer and no, I don't use them.

... There is one thing though that i would like to ask all the ladies, why we still got to have these lace doilies on furniture. :rofl: Seems to be the universal womans code to have these things ...

Mine is not to reason why,
Mine is but to ... agree so I don't lose body parts..........

:rolleyes: