Steering Wheel Locks

What if they felt they were threatened with bodily harm or death?

That's a different story. ;) New Mexico is not "must retreat" state, so if I feel imminent threat of bodily harm or death, I'm within my rights to draw and fire.

In California, on the other hand, I'm required to offer the bad guy a soft drink and ask him to stay for dinner. And I have to give him my gun, too. But fortunately, there's no ammo in the gun, since it's illegal to have both ammo and a gun in the same county. :rolleyes:

Or in the same sentence. I hope you were in NM when you said that :).

Now that's funny :rofl::rofl::rofl:

When I had my corvettes and my road runner I installed a fuel line shut off. If anyone stole the car they would get about 100 feet before it ran out of gas. I suppose that they could eventually find the shut off valve but it was pretty well hidden.

Funny story, you would have to know out little town village to know how crime free we are. In the village there is one business. A small market/coffee shop called Moultons. Been there forever. Local town folk stop in for coffee and donuts, newspaper, and to gossip about each other. Everyone leaves their car running with either the heater or a/c on depending on the weather.
I was taking to a couple of buddies one day and drinking a coffee when this fancy car drove up. The owner put on his steering wheel lock, locked his doors and set his alarm. We looked at each other and said he's either New York or New Jersey. We looked at his license plate....New York :rofl:

Most states have some equivalent of a must retreat law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duty_to_retreat) where if you can get away without restorting to force you're required to do so (even in this case). The line here is a bit blurry and varies wildly by jurisdiction but for example if someone has your TV and they're running out the door shooting them is a no no in most states (Texas at least being a notable exception: http://law.onecle.com/texas/penal/9.41.00.html, maybe florida as well not sure). On the other hand if they have you trapped in the corner and are threatening to smack you with it you're within your rights to defend yourself (at least in most of the US).

I think South Africa may be the only place where its still (or at least recently was) legal to boobytrap your vehicle..

This is why I love Texas. No duty to retreat and a lot of neighbors with guns!

Everyone leaves their car running with either the heater or a/c on depending on the weather.

Reminds me when we lived on Maui the petty crime against tourists can be fairly bad in some areas (rental cars are somewhat frequently targeted for B&Es at the more popular beaches). On the other hand if your rig looks local there ain't no one will touch it; its to small of a community still and odds are good enough that someone knows the person who's rig you're breaking into and wouldn't take it well. I drove around with $100s worth of surfboards with never a single problem and a friend actually had his key duct taped into the ignition (his truck was pretty obvious and he was fairly well known to so..). When we go back I always get a rent-a-wreck that looks like it might plausibly be a local junker.