Sewing trinket

larry merlau

well after seeing some of mike's knife blocks i thought i could make something similar for a lady for sewing, she had asked me about it sometime back so i went ahead and gave it a shot, just before i left on tour. i can say that i need one more tool that i dont have after making this one and that is a good scroll saw.. choping out square holes for the scissors with a chisel and mallet in hard maple wasnt nearly as fun as drilling a hole and sawing them out like most folks do on these.. the lady was pleased and can take another thing of my list of things to do.. just used some scrap cherry and maple i had laying in the scrap bin to make this out of ,, not going into business making these and mike is safe from in any kind of production mode for them.. they look simple but have there skill set and take more time than i thought..

scissor block 2.jpgscissor block 1.jpg

Well, I will not show this to my wife. She would love it and so would all the ladies in her sewing group. I have already had to make a couple foot rests. Nice job though, but I will keep it a secret! Great idea.

Nice work Larry! I'm sure it is highly appreciated.

One thought for the next one you build is to slice up the center board and run dadoes for the slots.

I saw cut offs of that when I was pirating......errr, using your shop when you were gone and wondered what you were making, that is cool!!! Good idea of altering a design to fit a specific use, well done bud:)

Wait! Now why on earth would someone need more than one pair of scissors? That's just crazy talk right there! (Says the guy who takes five guitars to a 3-hour happy hour gig.) :D

one big hint darren, you need to make the slots for there scissors they use because there are many styles and sizes.. some want just the blades in the slot and this lady now wants the handle part in some as well:(

one big hint darren, you need to make the slots for there scissors they use because there are many styles and sizes.. some want just the blades in the slot and this lady now wants the handle part in some as well:(

:rofl: No good deed...

I wonder.. but it seems like it might be possible to make the slots modular somehow.... Also wondering how well the "bundle of skewers" block type would work for scissors.

I saw cut offs of that when I was pirating......errr, using your shop when you were gone and wondered what you were making, that is cool!!! Good idea of altering a design to fit a specific use, well done bud:)

So Tom was Chuck with u while you were scouting the wood stash while Larry was fishing in the South. Looks like you turned yourself in are u joining the beagle boys?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk