Rope Saws

Ryan Mooney

Staff member
A friend had a tree that developed a perilous lean towards his power line after some recent wind. So we went over there after work today to see what we could do about it. Because it was leaning towards the power line but was still quite a ways from it, we could safely drop limbs starting at the top and working our way down (if we'd dropped the whole tree I'm about 50% sure it would have taken the power line down with it - it certainly would have hit it pretty hard anyway). To take off chunks of the limbs he had a rope saw - which worked waaaay better than I'd imagined they would. They are really best done as a two person operation though, with only one person it binds pretty bad because the angle is to shallow (with two people you can stand off to the sides as well :D)

I think the one he had was something like this: http://www.amazon.com/High-Limb-CS-48-Rope-and-Chain-Saw/dp/B0000AX849 - although not 100% positive on the exact model.

So from someone who just went from a skeptic to a believer; if you need to do some limbing and aren't to bad at flipping a rope over a limb these work pretty darn good.

I also got a couple little chunks of wood for a project out of the deal :D We'll see if it works out.

Last year I decided that climbing a tree with chain saw in hand was no longer for me. Cluck, cluck, etc.

For the past few years I have usually hired someone to do the trees. But at age 88 I figured I better quit. Using the rope chain saw and a neighbor might give me a few more tree trimming years---Veddy Interessting thought.

Enjoy,
JimB

This is a timely thread. Lots of pruning to do around here. It might even be time to rent a man lift again for the big ones.
Larry has a couple of great telescopic pruning saw handles that go up 20 feet or more, but I haven't been able to find any locally. I have a chain saw attachment for the Stihl trimmer, but it's only about 12 feet. I'll have to give the rope saw another look. Stand from under!

Stu, can we ask what other essentials are in your bugout bag? Just curious.

.......Stu, can we ask what other essentials are in your bugout bag? Just curious.

Actually it's a bugout backpack

Passports
Copy of important addresses and numbers
small portable HD with pictures and other important documents
Copy of all credit cards
Money
Extra meds
basic first aid kit
Swiss Army Knife
Super Leatherman tool
2 Mylar emergency blankets
10m of paracord.
Cell phone chargers
Flashlight, extra batteries
Mini Hand crank flashlight with an AM/FM radio and a USB port to charge cell phones etc
Very mini emergency stove and pot
A couple of lighters
Matches
About 10 meters of good duct tape rolled up in a mini roll
A dozen 12" long black zipties
Deck of playing cards
Notebook and some pencils and pens

Other stuff I can't remember.....:huh:

I'd love to have a real knife, a hunting or combat style knife that that is problematic in this country, and I'd love to have my small hatchet, but again, same problem.
Its in a safe place near the front door, you'd have to know it's there to find it, my wife and I both know it's there.

If a major quake ever hits Tokyo, most likely we would remain in place, we have lots of resources here, but if we ever had to bug out, it's better to be ready, even in a small way.

You asked :D

Yeah - I have one of those extensible pruning saws as well (manual, not powered) - it works pretty well up to maybe 2" or so - might work better if it wasn't old and abused but hey still mostly works. The rope saw seems to work best on limbs around 2-3" and up, smaller than that the radius is kinda small for it to get a bite.

The BO bags you folks have need some work...the two prime considerations for a BO are missing or could use some augmentation.

So, Jim, since you do the work you do. Give us a really good BO list. I su\\used to have one the state put out to run from wildfires. Included a shovel as I recall.

So a good complete list for x number of days?

Water is not a huge problem in Tokyo, but we do keep two cases of 2L water in the house, change them out every year, as they have a one year expiry date on them. I also have one of the filter things in the BO bag, it can be used to slowly filter the water, or can be used sort of like a straw to drink directly from a container. Food is also not a huge problem for us, we run a retail shop that is only 60 meter from our home and we have lots of stuff there, I guess I could add a few powerbars or some such thing just to have them in the BO bag.

I too am curious what other things you suggest Jim. :huh: :thumb:

I live in my bug out scenario. I have large animals to butcher and eat if it is cold enough to hang meat. Small animals and fish for daily meal butchered day of the meal. Fresh water, fresh water spring on South side of the pond. I do own a couple of firearms and knives and hatchets for defense and work. Without gasoline and oil, my team of horses will still work. I pray I never see the day I have to resort to that but it is thought out in my mind.

I live in my bug out scenario. I have large animals to butcher and eat if it is cold enough to hang meat. Small animals and fish for daily meal butchered day of the meal. Fresh water, fresh water spring on South side of the pond. I do own a couple of firearms and knives and hatchets for defense and work. Without gasoline and oil, my team of horses will still work. I pray I never see the day I have to resort to that but it is thought out in my mind.

I'm in a city version of that, no animals to slaughter, but a large storehouse of food and water at the L shop, a bicycle with a trailer etc, but, what if you have to bug out?

I'm talking about something happening that makes is mandatory you leave, and leave NOW. Something like a war, or a natural disaster, or a train derailment that leaks something toxic, or....?

Having all this stuff in one simple bag to grab and go is a good idea, IMHO.

Oh, one more to add to the list I have a map of Tokyo and a Compass.

About 20 years ago had a train derail and the girls went to my parent's house, I stayed with the livestock and home. With the girls on their own, we will ride it out, no alternatives, not leaving. Not a hero, just staying. I know it isn't the best scenario, just don't have anywhere to take all my critters. My parent's farm is another area 20 miles away that I know inside and out, but my base is here. Caches are made and buried. (I guess I forgot to mention that).

Okay, I'll bite. :)
Those items would be.......?

A primary thought is there are two scenarios...that's it. This is what's taught in the "just outside the govt system" schools that we are required to attend. Scenario #1...Basic systems and way of life is down for 3-5 days.
Scenario #2...There is no govt or system in place or none that can be communicated with.
Many people hoard/save gold and silver. In scenario #2...what exactly is it worth and who determines it's worth? No one...if you can't grow it, eat it or shoot it...it is worthless.
Scenario #1 many parts of the world have already been through...no one bugged out. Think about why.
Scenario #2 is unfortunately predicted in the lifetime of many of us. We work on this all the time. The only things of value will be seeds, skills and ammo. If there is no banking system...what is your gold worth...can you plant it, eat it or kill game with it? Credit cards, SSN and passports? Fire starters at best.
Remember that scenario #1 plays out on a worldwide basis monthly, earthquake, mudslides, typhoons or hurricanes. Is your credit card going to work in a massive power outage...think Northridge or Santa Cruz in the 90's...what was your passport worth, your bills due, your divers license...not a bloody thing. And that was the USA 20 years ago. Your basic first aid kit ran dry 15 days ago and you just did a fillet job on your hand...hope that deck of cards works for you.

From my perspective, there should be a heavy emphasis on defense in addition to food/water/fuel (generator) supplies. If you have stores of food, or natural resources on hand, with a prolonged situation others will loose their source of survival and then go after whoever else's might be "available". Defensive weapons would come into play at this time, so plenty of ammo/arrows could not only provide for food, it could also protect what food one has, in addition to protecting them from human predators. I mention arrows because that is a silent method of hunting, or whatever. Noise draws attention.

A primary thought is there are two scenarios...that's it. This is what's taught in the "just outside the govt system" schools that we are required to attend. Scenario #1...Basic systems and way of life is down for 3-5 days.
Scenario #2...There is no govt or system in place or none that can be communicated with.
Many people hoard/save gold and silver. In scenario #2...what exactly is it worth and who determines it's worth? No one...if you can't grow it, eat it or shoot it...it is worthless.
Scenario #1 many parts of the world have already been through...no one bugged out. Think about why.
Scenario #2 is unfortunately predicted in the lifetime of many of us. We work on this all the time. The only things of value will be seeds, skills and ammo. If there is no banking system...what is your gold worth...can you plant it, eat it or kill game with it? Credit cards, SSN and passports? Fire starters at best.
Remember that scenario #1 plays out on a worldwide basis monthly, earthquake, mudslides, typhoons or hurricanes. Is your credit card going to work in a massive power outage...think Northridge or Santa Cruz in the 90's...what was your passport worth, your bills due, your divers license...not a bloody thing. And that was the USA 20 years ago. Your basic first aid kit ran dry 15 days ago and you just did a fillet job on your hand...hope that deck of cards works for you.

Jim thanks for the advice, but I don't see how any of it is about the Go Bag?

I never talked about hording gold or silver, I said I have some money in my bag, not a lot, I'm not that rich :eek: but some.

If I had to get out of the country I need my passport, if I were able to leave, like in a bad quake or the aftermath of a bad nuclear accident, and I got out and then needed to get into my home country of Canada, again, I'd need my passport.

We have investments offshore in the channel islands, the banks there survived two world wars, and even Napoleon, so unless the apocalypse comes when things shake out, I would need the pertinent papers to access that money, would it be worth anything? Who knows, but if I did not have the papers with the numbers etc I needed, as well as valid ID to prove who I am, then they would truly be worthless.

Your tone is not very helpful, I do not see where you are adding to the conversation, and your comment about the deck of cards, well that seems beneath you. At the very least they could provide a distraction while waiting out a problem or as you put it "Fire Starter".

I just don't understand where the attitude is coming from?

An honest question was asked and you come back with this, well thank you for your input, we were all hoping to get some good info about what to carry in a Bug Out Bag. I guess you don't have any insights into that..... that you want to share anyways.

I hope you had a good Easter weekend, I worked.

WOW! Where did that come from?

PS: It does seem like the original topic has drifted a bit, but that is rather typical of many threads. Replies sometimes respond "tangentially" to the original theme, but are still relevant. As more tangents appear the more the topic tends to drift. I think we are all tangentially adrift at times. I think I fell subject to these tangential influences with my previous post. :rofl:

Last edited: