Rope Saws

surviving emergencies

Well, the original topic was of great interest to me, I have a huge pecan in my front yard near the house that is a problem tree. Too dangerous to even climb. Hoping a bucket comes along I can make use of, otherwise that rope saw and a partner sounds real tempting.

Now about bug out bags and being prepared. Been there, and you learn a lot in a hurry. For example, two cases of water isn't nearly enough if you shelter in place. Without taking in much fluid from the food you eat and other drinks besides water, you need a lot of water.

How realistic is the wild west scenario in the aftermath of a disaster? My brother and I were in his home after a hurricane, no power for several weeks, no fire, no police service. Tens of thousands of empty homes, a bare handful had any sort of emergency lighting indicating they were occupied, literally one or two more as far as we could see. The first or second night someone tried our door without knocking. I shined a light at a window over the door and they took the hint and went away. Fifteen minutes later they tried the door again. Fortunately for them they didn't try to force entry, anyone forcing their way in would have never knew what hit them with two more than adequately armed master class shooters well armed and under cover.

Many years later the area flooded. The waters rose over five feet in less than three hours. Few people are prepared for something like that! Most everything was lost, what was saved was mostly the old clothes and shoes that were in the tops of closets to be out the way. Without thought, we tried to raise the freezer and refrigerator to keep them operational and too late realized we had lost the irreplaceable family items stored down low. From the wood turners perspective, I lost all of my exotic wood I had been carefully keeping in climate control for five to seven years because I had moved it to my house for safe keeping while I was moving my shop! Lost over a gross of quality cue shaft blanks too which are harder to find than the exotic stuff.

Almost 24 years in the area without a flood, even going through a handful of major hurricanes including Katrina. Lost count of named tropical storms. Having been through a handful of times without any official support I can tell you 99% of us aren't prepared. You need more ice, more water, more food, more clothes, more of everything than you think. Also medical supplies. We were forced into the attic during the flood, my brother, his wife, and myself. We were on a little platform intended for storage but it was so crowded I was mostly off of it on a piece of plywood laying across ceiling joists. Sometime in the wee hours of the morning I mistepped and went through the ceiling to my chest. Did some ugly things to a lower leg, no clean break and no x-rays available for days. By the time I could get x-rays it seemed silly. A couple ribs across a ceiling joist broke my fall, they weren't too happy either! No bloody froth so I figured I was good to go. Still have a dent there and on my shin.

Stuart's bug out bag is an excellent start. Some basic food items and three or four times that much water are needed for even very short term. Knives, an ax, maybe a good saw or gas chain saw handy, GAS, and yes the ability to defend yourself and your possessions, are all needed. Cell phones last a few hours until the emergency batteries powering the towers die. Even the emergency services thought they would use cell phones for communications. Big Mistake! (Side note to Stuart, I understand the culture you are in. Many things are a weapon when needed including many working tools. Working late one night someone was trying to force entry through my back wall. New shop I was remodeling and unusual for me I was buck naked, well 'cept my clothes. I hid behind a corner with a three feet long length of 1" diameter steel bar. It wasn't much but sure beat nothing!)

Like Jonathan, many of you, and Hank Jr, I can skin a buck and run a trotline. I may not be thrilled with what I eat but in an emergency I and my family will eat. Don't think there won't be people ready to take what you have while you watch though. Scavenging starts within hours and some of the people scavenging quickly turn to looting. High end electronics and alcohol are some of the first things taken, not exactly emergency supplies!

Long post as usual but everyone needs a "bug out bag" both in your home and in each vehicle. A gallon of water in your vehicle may mean the difference between living and dying right in the middle of people when something happens. You get ran off the road at seventy miles an hour and the vehicle can be hidden only yards off the road. If you can't get out and have no supplies at all you can die with thousands of people passing by a few yards away. Water comes in handy for the vehicle sometimes too.

No big deal to be prepared and never need it. It surely isn't fun to need things and not have them. Fuel and water are the big things and in a disaster may not be available for weeks. My brother was working in the only surviving hospital in the area after Katrina. When the storm hit his "shift" lasted three weeks with the occasional short nap before personel could be rotated! Weeks after the storm I got through to the hospital with enough gasoline that people could check on their homes and families. Every shipment of diesel to the hospital to run their generators was hi-jacked by emergency teams that figured they needed it worse than all the people that would die in a heart hospital now operating as the only trauma center in the area also. They finally started getting diesel through in tankers with MILK signs painted on them.

Some fantastic people in emergencies. However emergencies bring out the best and worst in people and even good people often resort to a me and mine first attitude. Being prepared physically and mentally to look after yourself and your family is a must.

A very long post but I have been there a handful of times when all support structures failed. We are all woefully underprepared!

Hu

Charlie,

I think there is something to keep it turned the right way and I am curious about tooth angles. I have old chainsaw chain laying around but I don't think the teeth would bite rolled backwards like that.

Hu

Wondered about that myself, but figured one could make their own from an old/new chain saw blade, sharpening it if needed, and removing or adding teeth in the opposite direction, but a lot simpler to just buy one. Still, seems like it could be a bit tricky(?) to align the chain so the teeth are square to the limb for cutting.

Back to rope saws. From the pictures it looks like a section of chain saw chain, with ropes on each end. Am I missing something?

In the vid, to me, it looks like the teeth are much further apart than is found on chain saws. And, I'm surmising, there has to be a way to keep the teeth orientated to the branch so they cut. Dunno....:huh:......just guessing.

Oops...first, Stu...I want to apologize to you personally. You are a friend and I would not do anything purposefully to hurt or insult you in any way. Let me clarify some things. The two best countries at disaster management and preparation are Japan and Cuba. Looking at their location and the path of typhoons and hurricanes, add into that earthquakes...it's easy for one to understand why those two countries excel at it. We train with the Cuban National Defense Ministry once a year...they train as a nation once a month. There is a substantial difference between being prepared and being a "Prepper" which in some cases has a label on lunacy attached to it, but does have it's place. Only speaking for myself...I have no intention of leaving home unless there is no home to go to! Keep in mind that many of us here are much better prepared than the vast majority of the US. As we saw in Katrina...those that don't have will try to take it from those that do. In all of the natural disasters in the US in the last several years, EQ's, Katrina, Joplin, Sandy, basic services were still available to the majority of the nation, but those few thousand were left to fend for themselves for weeks and even months at a time; a true survival situation. Not a fun place to be and in just such a case, it may be best to get outa Dodge and resume life else where. But even that presents problems...what about employment, personal possessions, a home, family.
To summarize, your BOB should be comprised of what is going to allow you the most semblance of a normal life while adjusting to the new situation around you, the estimated return of basic social services and how far you want to go away from "home".
Again...my apologies Stu :beer:

Charlie,

I think there is something to keep it turned the right way and I am curious about tooth angles. I have old chainsaw chain laying around but I don't think the teeth would bite rolled backwards like that.

Hu

Teeth are quite a bit further apart than a regular saw, maybe 3-4" or so and if my recollection is correct the geometry's a bit different as well. It also cuts both ways. If I had one in hand I could probably replicate it well enough from an existing chain, but not sure it would be worth the effort to be honest, you're changing it a while lot.

One side of the rope has a flag that's supposed to hold it right side up - which it does once you get the hang of setting it. Getting it to initially bite is definitely the hard part, once it's in a stroke or two it self tracks. The first limb took us maybe 20m to get started, once we got it figured out the second limb got started pretty quick though.

If the limb wasn't 20' in the air this would ask be easier so maybe if you were smart you'd try it on something where you could hand set it first.

It was surprisingly fast considering the tooth spacing, only a couple of minutes to cut a 5" limb (once we got it started).

Teeth are quite a bit further apart than a regular saw, maybe 3-4" or so and if my recollection is correct the geometry's a bit different as well. It also cuts both ways. If I had one in hand I could probably replicate it well enough from an existing chain, but not sure it would be worth the effort to be honest, you're changing it a while lot.

One side of the rope has a flag that's supposed to hold it right side up - which it does once you get the hang of setting it. Getting it to initially bite is definitely the hard part, once it's in a stroke or two it self tracks. The first limb took us maybe 20m to get started, once we got it figured out the second limb got started pretty quick though.

If the limb wasn't 20' in the air this would ask be easier so maybe if you were smart you'd try it on something where you could hand set it first.

It was surprisingly fast considering the tooth spacing, only a couple of minutes to cut a 5" limb (once we got it started).

Ryan,

I went searching earlier and saw what you mean about tooth spacing. For starters the teeth seem to be at least as far apart as full skip chain then every other one is backwards, effectively double spacing the teeth. Glad to hear a report they work pretty well, I would have decided they were a waste of time with one working tooth every five or six inches. Fifty dollars for the 48" chain seems a little steep but I may play with an old chain and just have it cut one way. Even slower than the store boughten rig but I only plan on using the chain for one job and that is still in the "maybe" stage. Prefer other alternatives if they work out.

Good idea to trim some low limbs with it and get a handle on how the rope saws work before tackling a limb twenty to thirty feet overhead!

Edit: I followed Ryan's link to amazon and found about a bazillion reviews, well maybe only a million or two. The reviews are really mostly stories of use and attempted use. Easy to get a good feel for these things and some of the funniest reading I have seen in ages. (yeah, I laugh at other people's foibles but I laugh at mine too!)

Hu

Last edited:
Oops...first, Stu...I want to apologize to you personally. You are a friend and I would not do anything purposefully to hurt or insult you in any way. Let me clarify some things. The two best countries at disaster management and preparation are Japan and Cuba. Looking at their location and the path of typhoons and hurricanes, add into that earthquakes...it's easy for one to understand why those two countries excel at it. We train with the Cuban National Defense Ministry once a year...they train as a nation once a month. There is a substantial difference between being prepared and being a "Prepper" which in some cases has a label on lunacy attached to it, but does have it's place. Only speaking for myself...I have no intention of leaving home unless there is no home to go to! Keep in mind that many of us here are much better prepared than the vast majority of the US. As we saw in Katrina...those that don't have will try to take it from those that do. In all of the natural disasters in the US in the last several years, EQ's, Katrina, Joplin, Sandy, basic services were still available to the majority of the nation, but those few thousand were left to fend for themselves for weeks and even months at a time; a true survival situation. Not a fun place to be and in just such a case, it may be best to get outa Dodge and resume life else where. But even that presents problems...what about employment, personal possessions, a home, family.
To summarize, your BOB should be comprised of what is going to allow you the most semblance of a normal life while adjusting to the new situation around you, the estimated return of basic social services and how far you want to go away from "home".
Again...my apologies Stu :beer:

Thanks for the clarification Jim :thumb:

I would have decided they were a waste of time with one working tooth every five or six inches.

That was pretty much my initial take (ok sure yeah "works great" uh huh) until I saw it in person (saw it.. ... anyway..) which changed my mind. It really did cut way faster than I thought it would (not chainsaw fast but almost as fast as a japanese razor pruning saw - at least if the folks on both end of the line are in sync).

If you're looking at making one check out how the little metal flag works to try to hold the chain "upright", I think you need something like that or you're sunk from day one, its hard enough with it (probably doesn't matter to much for up close work but at any distance off of the ground getting the rope all laid out right with that was key to success). Having used it I also believe that the tooth gapping is part of the key to keeping it tracking well.

There are also some short handled ones (probably more like what Stu has in his bag): http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200385988_200385988

Mine is actually called a wire saw, and it is classed as an emergency tool, I'd not want to have to do a lot of work with it, but it can be done. You can fashion a handle for it like a Bow Saw with a bent green limb, if you wanted to build a shelter etc, but it is NOT the same as the chainsaw-esque saws you guys are showing.

$_35.JPG

48427.jpg

I just remembered I also have one of these in the go bag

0005638907870_300X300.jpg
A magnesium block with a built in flint to start fires, I've used it and boy does it work well!

Cheers!

Stu, the escape and evasion kits carried by aircrews during the Vietnam conflict carried a very similar wire saw. I tried mine out and it would gnaw through some tough stuff, but it was a work out.

Stu, the escape and evasion kits carried by aircrews during the Vietnam conflict carried a very similar wire saw. I tried mine out and it would gnaw through some tough stuff, but it was a work out.

Mine actually has two saws, one says it will cut metal, the other plastic and wood, from the UK called Abrafile.

I'd bet the wire saw will work a lot better on small stuff. I can't really imagine using the rope saw chain thing on anything much less than 2" and even that might be interesting to get started.

Sort of depends on the intended use I suppose, if I wanted something to cut small branches for like a fire or shelter maybe the wire saw would be better (although at that size a K-Bar would be a more universal tool :D).

We used to carry a take down buck-saw on camping trips, it was good for up to maybe 8" logs if you were motivated (I think it was either a 24" or maybe a 36" blade, probably 24" - everything looked big back then :D), big enough to fix the trapper cabin we used as a base camp for looking for cattle anyway. I think the one we used was probably homemade with a commercial blade. I know at least once we made the frame on site and only carried the blade in (on the side of a pack box, plus a couple of nails for pins and a chunk of twine for the tension).

one plan "B"

Those limbs are high and the angles awkward. If shells hadn't gotten so expensive and a little rare I was considered seeing what a few rounds of medium heavy twelve gauge shot would do for the trimming. Well remember that a twelve gauge can saw right through a two by four edge on but it did leave somewhat of a rough surface!

Accidentally cut down a fair sized sycamore when I was a kid using a .44 magnum. The tree was still standing when I left but was down the next time I was there, the evidence of why it fell was hard to miss! Don't think I want to launch anything heavier or with more velocity than shot skyward though.

Hu