Seat cover project stymied

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
Got one arm rest off. Can't get the other one. Need to find a guy with a pneumatic ratchet and a big Torx driver.

But no more time now to work on it before I leave.

Darn, I wanted a comfy seat under my tush.

I have a hammer screwdriver. It has a replaceable tip. Would have to get the proper Torx driver, which I really don't want to own one of. and I'd have to find it! No small task there either. Then there is the four hands necessary to do this.

The guy at the auto parts store tried to get it off. He got one off. I held the rest down and put a light on the subject for him. He had to hold back the foam stuff and crank away. The first one was hard to break loose but then it went OK. We switched to the other one and he was bending the bit. He slipped off twice rapping his knuckle a good lick and we called it quits. When they get off, they're headed for the trash.

So next up will be a pneumatic driver when the opportunity presents itself. Also I thibnk to use the hammer devise, I'd have to take the seat out to get some swinging room.

But thanks for the thought.

Back to packing.

If you are not going to reuse them, cut the head off with a cut off wheel.
Find someone with a MIG welder, big nut, set on the torx head, weld the inside of the nut to the torx head, while hot use a ratchet and socket and remove the bolt.

There you go. Darren will get you fixed up!

Maybe you could use a little pillow or something for the ride out.

I envy you. I love going on long road trips.

Drive safe!

Vaya con dios!

Ohhhhhhh, excellent idea Jim! Hadn't considered that as an option and very well could be a possibility. Remember the old Dodge trucks had left handed threaded studs on the wheels for passenger side.

Stymied huh? The darn thing is probably just full of Buckwheats--lol

Anyway, try gripping the bolthead with vicegrips set extra tight. If they spin on the head, set them tighter, until they no longer lose grip.

If you can't tighten them enough, ask someone with a lot of arm strenght to clamp the tool extra tight.

Then tap the tool with a hammer.

If you can't get a vicegrip around the bolt head for some reason, a torx socket can be found at an auto parts store for about $7.

Just pop it in a breaker bar and again tap it with a hammer, it will let go easily.

They only look intimidating. They are easy to remove.

Find a grease monkey neighbor who works on cars, he will probably have a torx socket to lend you.