Crokinole Board

Michael Tulak

Well this will sort of be a Saturday(s) project so it might take a few weeks to finish. The board will be made to the standards set for the World Crokinole Championships (held in Ontario each year) so the deck (playing surface) will be 26" in diameter with a 1 3/8" center hole that is 1/4" deep. The lines on the board will be 4,8, and 12" from dead center. The ditch will be 2" wide and the board will be circular (vs octagonal) so I will get to experiment with bending plywood.
So far I have the deck cut out of 1/2 Baltic Birch Plywood and sanded it down. I am waiting for a suitable day to spray lacquer which might be a wait as the forecast looks bleak:(

In these pics the board is half sanded. Isn't the factory finish horrible?Deck 1.jpgDeck 2.jpg
Well what you see is pretty much my shop. The table saw works pretty good (it is currently acting as a sanding station;))
although one day I hope to restore this:DUnisaw.jpg

as for bending plywood is nice stuff it will surprise you at how well it works.. and the unisaw has alot of fans for sure it stood as the leader in saws for many years..

Recently I saw on another from some beautiful Crokinole Boards someone had made. It was the first time I had heard of the game. Is it something like a sophisticated Tiddly Winks game?

Looks like you are off to a good start. What are you sanding with a ROS or by hand?

To do the initial sanding I am using a makita palm sander (you can see it in pic 1) later when I am finishing the lacquer I will do it by hand. Just out of curiosity, what do you guys think a unisaw in that condition is worth???

saw value is according to the one wanting it michael, i have seen them go for 500 to 1500 just depends on how long someone has been looking for one..if you think you will continue to do woodworking i wouldnt part with it.. only way i would was if someone offered me a great deal on a sawstop model..

Thanks to some decent weather I was able to spray on two light coats of lacquer to seal the wood and help prevent chipout when I was routing the dividing circles. I routed the circles using a v-bit in the router trammel. Blue was my choice of colour;) Crokinole Board.jpgCrokinole.jpg
Then I routed a 30 1/4" circle out of 5/8 mdf to use as the baseDeck and Base.jpg
Next I will put on a few more coats of finish and then fill in the groves with black paint.

Whew:eek: This last month and a half has been super busy. I finally got some time to glue the deck to the mdf base that I primed and painted. After that was all dry I was able to get the outer rails glued on. I did it similar to the way hilinski crokinole does by nailing and gluing the middle layer on and then hiding the nails by gluing an inside and outside layer on. I worked way better than I was anticipating. I only took a few pictures of the process. IMG_0233.jpg IMG_0234.jpg

My plan is to make the dividing lines I routed on the deck black. I am having a bit of trouble trying to figure out how to do that. I was thinking maybe mixing some wood filler with black paint and then filing the groves with that, but the trouble is how to not make a big mess of the playing surface??? Anybody have ideas or suggestions for a good way to go about darkening the grooves?

Run a sharpie in them.
But since you have made such a nice board why not rout them and do some inlay with a piece of cane or solid copper or brass rod.
I really like your board edge.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk